The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (UtahYork, Mr Crosswrench, RLB, klhansen, 1 invisible), 111 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,395
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1424700 09/20/2021 3:41 PM
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 9
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 9
I have a 66 K20 and can't to find a part number for the rear drum. It's an HO72 with 13 x 2.5 inch brakes, 8 lug. This Eaton housing is the wider version to accommodate single rear wheels. I do have a set of 13 inch drums on my dually Eaton but that housing is an inch or two more narrow and the drums are different. I have piled through the parts books, this website and I have looked and asked on the the other site too where there were several answers but none that led me to the right drum. I have also paid an online visit to suppliers. All drums listed are 11, 12 or 14 inch, no 13's. I wish to keep the original brakes on the truck. Drum brakes work well for me, especially in the rear, so no disc conversion. The old drums I have are not salvageable and any markings that were on them have disappeared with time and weathering. Has anyone had this same issue and resolved it? Appreciate!

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Rockauto shows they have drums to fit your application but do not list dimensions.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 9
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Rockauto shows they have drums to fit your application but do not list dimensions.

Yes, you are correct. I have researched them all, none are 13 x 2.5 inch except for the dually drums. Several years back I bought a new set from Rock Auto for my dually rear. Centric brand name. They fit perfectly on the dually but will not work on the single wheel version. The dually drums are quite deep compared to the single wheel version, even though the braking surface is the same. Recently the dually drums are out of stock too...

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Packard Joe, my research this morning shows the first mention of 13" X 2.5" rear brake drums on K20 models as appearing in 1972, Bendix p/n 140363 there is no mention of single rear wheel or dual rear wheel, only one p/n. The first mention of single rear wheel/dual rear wheel I find is the 77-79 K30 w/13" X 2.5" rear brakes SRW p/n Bendix 140387 DRW p/n Bendix 140388. Are you sure this rear axle is original to your truck? If you could give us more dimensions, such as the overall height of the brake drum we may be able to find a drum by dimensions, hope that helps.

Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
D
Unconventional Thinker
Unconventional Thinker
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
Are you the original owner? If not, did someone swap over the 14 bolt axle brakes to the HO72?


Shane

Shane's Toys...
2007 Forester XT Limited (2nd Owner)
1991 Cherokee Laredo (2nd Owner)
1981 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside 8,600 Camper Special (3rd Owner)
1965 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside (3rd Owner)

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0