The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (LAROKE, Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, tclederman), 73 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,347
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#142111 05/12/2005 4:02 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 27
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 27
I'm intrigued by the Dana 70HD discussion, especially since I happen to have a spare one laying around out of a C-30 dually pickup. From what I can tell, the 70HD has a GAWR of 10,000 lbs. I've been looking for an axle swap for my 52 6100 truck but I'd like to retain the 16,000 lbs GVW since I plan to use the truck on the farm. Anyone know what the rear axle rating is on the 6100?

As for the 70HD, mine has the 8-lug pickup truck hubs and drums. Are the 10-lug hubs and brakes interchangeable?

Thanks


Joe Padavano
#142112 05/12/2005 5:05 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I don't know anything about the interchangeability of the 8 lug drums with the 10 lug disc. I have a feeling that they could be interchanged, if you would like me to measure mine I can.

The complicated part of changing to disc in the rear in then having to do it in the front, are you up for that?

Or, is it possible that there is a 10 lug drum Dana 70HD or even an 80, I believe that the outer ends of the 70HD and an 80 are identical.

As for the GVW, If the truck weighs about 5,000 and it can weigh 16,000 loaded it seems to me that a 10,000 rear might be enough?


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
#142113 05/12/2005 7:07 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 27
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 27
My question really should have been are the wheel bearings for the 8-lug drums and the 10-lug rotors the same? If so, then I would assume they could be swapped. As for the fronts, I'm hoping I can use the beam front axle from a late-90s Chevy 3500HD, which also has a 16,000 GVW and 10-lug rotors. (That vintage 3500HD is the 88-98 body style truck.) On the GAWR, I'm a structures engineer (plus it'll be my butt in the truck), so I don't want to be guessing.


Joe Padavano
#142114 05/12/2005 7:19 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Sounds like what I did. I used the front from a 1994 3500HD. I had to narrow it 10.25" and reamchine the spring pads and holes. So I have the same disc up front with the 5 lug on 7.25"

I am planning to put my axles under a 1.5 or 2 ton truck when I find one. Until then I will keep them in my everyday driver 1952 1 ton pickup.

What else would you like to know?


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
#142115 05/12/2005 8:54 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
GRIGG did you consider swapping the front disks onto the original 1-ton front axle? If so, why did you reject that possibility?

Are you running duals on the back of your pickup?

I know a guy in Texas who swapped 1-ton Dodge disks onto his AD 1-ton GMC with the original axle.

I'd enjoy seeing pictures of this truck.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#142116 05/12/2005 9:37 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Hello,
I looked for a disc brake kit for the one ton but did not find anything. Then because I was going to 10 lug on the rear I wanted the same on the front so I only need one spare wheel. However, the spare thing did not really work out because I had custom ones made for the rear, but in the future I might run 6 of the same wheels.

I did not think it was possible to keep the original I-beam front, but I did not really consider it because I found the stronger axle with what I wanted on the ends. I just had to make it narrower.

I am running custom made singles on the rear and a dual rim on the front, the same wheels from the 1994 truck with a 8X19.5 tire. The rear wheels I had made with the right back spacing to fit in my fenders. I could not run duals without both trimming the inside of the bed and widening the fenders. When I switch trucks I will have a flat bed and probably run duals, or perhaps still my singles, or I may switch every other week, who knows?

I can't figure out how to add pictures, I have seen it done by others, but I am new to this. I don't have them on line, just on my computer. Any ideas?


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
#142117 05/13/2005 3:26 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
You need to first get the pictures online somewhere. A number of places offer free hosting of pictures, so you might want to look for one of them.

Once they are online somewhere its easy to get them into a post by using the full reply form and clicking the image button.

If you email me a couple of pictures I'll post them for you.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#142118 05/13/2005 6:11 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Here are some pics of Grigg's truck, with emphasis on the disk brakes.

[img]http://www.oldsub.com/images/2005/05/grigg/smIMG_0309.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.oldsub.com/images/2005/05/grigg/smIMG_0295.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.oldsub.com/images/2005/05/grigg/smIMG_0282.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.oldsub.com/images/2005/05/grigg/smIMG_0274.jpg[/img]

Grigg I resized the pictures to 320 x 240 so they would fit everyone's screen, and then reduced the file size to about 5% so the load time would be acceptable on a dialup. Loose some detail that way, but it also cuts down on complaints.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#142119 05/13/2005 7:16 AM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
X
Member
Member
X Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 452
To answer Joe's original question, the rear axle of the 6000 series AD trucks was rated at 13,000 lbs.

The rear wheel bearings used (thru '53) were GM part #144527 for the inner, and GM part #144525 for the outer. These are still good part numbers (at least they show up in a cross reference). An ACDelco lookup gives AC part #'s S612 and S615, respectively. Put those #'s into a search on this ACDelco search page to see what vehicles they were used in. C3500's and P30's are in the list, among others.

Even if these are the same bearings used in the Dana 70HD, the Dana and AD hubs may be different enough in other dimensions as not to be interchangeable.

Addendum: The industry standard numbers for the wheel bearings mentioned above are 395CS/394CS inner, and 387/382 outer, with diameters of 2.625"/4.468" and 2.25"/3.875" respectively (cone bore/race outer dia.). Maybe these numbers can be used to compare to the Dana bearings.


Curt
----
1953 Chevy 6400, 1957 Chevy 2dr Sedan
--"Mediocrity is easy, the good things take time"
#142120 05/16/2005 2:12 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
#142121 05/17/2005 12:20 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
if you are looking for one of these rear ends here is what looks like a good buy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...9&category=33728&sspagename=WDVW


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0