The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ole49GMC), 109 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 202
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 202
I am trying to remove a heater from a 1954 pickup. It is the type of heater depicted here:
53-55 Fresh Air Heater

The problem is that I've removed all the mounting hardware that I can locate, yet I cannot get the heater loose. I am obviously missing something.

All hoses are disconnected. The thermostatic valve has been dismounted. The nuts have been removed from the two studs through the firewall. The three clutch-head screws on the side of the duct that faces the passenger have been removed. I cannot see or feel any corresponding screws on the opposite side of the duct toward the firewall. I can wiggle the whole heater slightly. If I tap on the studs from the firewall side, they deflect freely, then 'spring' back to their original position.

Any suggestions where the mystery mounting hardware is?

Thanks!

-Kevin


This is what happens when you live with a house-full of women, the wife and daughters name all the cars:
1960 Impala - "Frankie" (Frank Sinatra)
1961 Apache - " 'Mater Jr." (wrecker)
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
1967 C20 "Ol' Blue" (hidden in a log cabin for 30 years)
1972 SuperBeetle Convertible - "Juliet"
1976 SuperBeetle Convertible - "Olaf"
1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce - "Romeo"
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
You didn't mention removing any fasteners from the right side where the fresh air intake is located and connects to the cowl? 90 degrees from the firewall. As you are facing the heater from inside, to the right.

Last edited by dgrinnan; 08/12/2021 12:17 PM.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 202
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 202
The only fasteners I found on the fresh air intake were the three clutch-head screws that I removed from the side of the duct that faces the passenger. Are there more? I did a 'look-and-feel' search for others, but I certainly could have missed something.

I annotated a photo and attached it, to help explain what I've done.

-Kevin
Attachments
Heater Mounting.jpg (39.6 KB, 93 downloads)


This is what happens when you live with a house-full of women, the wife and daughters name all the cars:
1960 Impala - "Frankie" (Frank Sinatra)
1961 Apache - " 'Mater Jr." (wrecker)
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
1967 C20 "Ol' Blue" (hidden in a log cabin for 30 years)
1972 SuperBeetle Convertible - "Juliet"
1976 SuperBeetle Convertible - "Olaf"
1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce - "Romeo"
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
Kevin,
There are 3 additional clutch head screws on the firewall side of the fresh air intake. Thus, there is a total of 6 that hold the intake to the cowl. I recall the difficulty of removing and replacing those when I restored my COE. Good luck.
Kent


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,299
Three on the back side of the heater as mentioned that pretty much line up with front three. I believe the heater housing is slotted so you only need to loosen them and can start them before installing the heater again.
Attachments
s-l1600 (5).jpg (253.9 KB, 79 downloads)

Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 202
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 202
Greg_H, thanks! They are slotted; I can see and feel them...but I missed the screws somehow. There were severe thunderstorms today, so I didn't get to go work on the removal. I'm going to take a borescope camera with me next time, so I can definitely find them!

-Kevin


This is what happens when you live with a house-full of women, the wife and daughters name all the cars:
1960 Impala - "Frankie" (Frank Sinatra)
1961 Apache - " 'Mater Jr." (wrecker)
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible
1967 C20 "Ol' Blue" (hidden in a log cabin for 30 years)
1972 SuperBeetle Convertible - "Juliet"
1976 SuperBeetle Convertible - "Olaf"
1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce - "Romeo"

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0