The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Ponchogl, JW51, IHPWR), 98 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,431
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 358
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 358
Rented a great 'portable' engine 'picker' and went to pick up the 'new' 261 I bought.

From a '57 Pontiac (Canadian). The fella is installing a SBC, of course...

A metal tag says it was rebuilt in '86:

Here are the numbers:
[img]http://www.whizzerick.com/head.JPG[/img]

And the lump:
[img]http://www.whizzerick.com/motor.JPG[/img]

What do you think? Beauty eh? eek grin


1953 Chevrolet 1300 - Daily driver
Collecting Vintage Whizzer motorbikes
http://www.whizzerick.com
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
8
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
8 Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
That's pretty schweet. Good luck with it.


-Tim
'51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, Corvette Cam, Split Manifold and Dual Carter YF's
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 51
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 51
A 261 with a "848" head, you lucky bolter.

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 358
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 358
Quote
Originally posted by Jon Arnett:
A 261 with a "848" head, you lucky bolter.
Yes! That was a nice surprise!
I'm curious to see if the 'steam' holes where in fact drilled at the time of the rebuild?

- From what I could find so far, that Pontiac engine is in fact, a truck engine (55-57).

- Looking at Jim Carter's page, I identified the 'captain' marks on the block, everything checks out.

- It has the fittings for the oil filter still attached.

- Engine turns over with a nice suction sound...

I'm thinking Chevy Orange paint with shiny aluminum 'Go' parts! smile


1953 Chevrolet 1300 - Daily driver
Collecting Vintage Whizzer motorbikes
http://www.whizzerick.com
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 248
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 248
Don't use Chevy Orange paint as the 6 won't start.....hihihi..... go for the Chev Blue....

That's a lucky find....... good luck.

Bob C.
.....just finished rebuilding a 261..


Bob C.
CMP Heaven
The Hammond Barn
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 7
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 7
I picked up my 261 today and I have something like you, Whizzerick. The 261 I have is casting# 3733950 with head casting # of 383513. I believe this head number is for a 235. My 261 also has a tag where it has been rebuilt, so it will be interesting to see if the steams holes have been drilled or not.

Whizzerick, let us know what you find out about yours.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0