I have a nice 236 in a 62. Date code is appropriate for truck. Its painted blue as I believe is correct. I have to paint a new valve cover. Does anyone know of a close match in a spray can that I can buy on the shelf?
~ HB 1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery 1962 Chevrolet C10 1962 Suburban
The Chevy blue is a very common color and can be bought at most auto stores that sell engine paint. Here is one from NAPA. https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?q=Nty%3D1%26N%3D2500057%2B2605722%2B2806584%2B116531700%26Score%3D0.72&referer=plp&partTypeName=Spray%20Paint&keywordInput=chevy%20blue%20engine%20paint&scene=partTypesScene2&fullyQualified=false
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
FWIW, I was under the impression that the truck engine color was not the same as the common passenger car 235, "Chevy Blue." This article showing various engine colors by model year, posted by Jim Carter and attributed to Robert Hensel, Technical Advisor Coordinator for the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America, suggests that the '62 truck 235 should be "blue gray," and not the same as the passenger car blue. A number of the entries are based on good assumptions as noted, including the one for '62 truck engines, so there is some uncertainty. The original author's contact info (if still valid) is listed in Carter's post.
I will say that the paint mentioned earlier and stocked by the local stores - Dupli-Color DE 1609 "Chevy Blue" - is fairly dark, with a gray tint. Photo shows an example '53 235 valve cover that I refinished with it last year (for a Powerglide car 235). The Dupli-Color "Chevy Blue" paint is certainly darker than the blue of the engine in your earlier post. Perhaps it's more true to the article? Beyond that, and unless the vehicle is intended to go to vintage judging, I think the choice comes down to personal preference.
On my 261 I went with a blue color from Duplicolor. I recall using Chevy blue 1609 and not liking it as much. The colour I actually ended up using was GM blue-1608. Close but not the same. The GM blue had more “pop” I found.
1970 Chevrolet C10 Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny Follow the build in the Project Journal 1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually "Ole Red Girl" In the Stovebolt Gallery More pictures here 1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's Parts trucks- 1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300