The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, Joe W), 211 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
Got my 49 running better today. Was weird, checking cyls by pulling off wires and cyls started to run with wires backed off some and arcing to plug. Did that on three cyls. Ran like new engine almost. Put wire back on, quit on each cyl. 1 and 6 were most important to keep running. Pulled 1 and it quit "right now". Why is this happening? I went and bought new plug wires, didn't change much at first, then seemed to be better after a drive, but was still missing some. Has new cap, 303 Autolite plugs, points and etc from last owner. These are supposed to be Resistor plugs according to Auto-Zone. Still gotta pull the coil and see what volt it is. It looks kinda new also. All the bulbs and headlights are still 6-volts. I put on a one-wire alt today, now got it charging again. Auto-zone had the one-wire ready to go in box. Number DL7140M. First one ready to go, they ever had when I was looking for one in past. Headlights are torn down, what a mess. Gonna look for some diff buckets maybe. I did blast all the parts, but not too nice. The lights were just bouncing around in there, no springs at the one side! Even the trim rings were just setting there, no screws, cause the tab on bucket was gone! Sheesh! Glad they didn't fall out on way home!
I did take it for a spin when running better, got through all the gears with some pull, not weak as before. Would have been a lot better ride home for sure. The rear brakes lock up when using, almost seems like only rears working, not fronts. Have to check adjust on those. Bet I have a leaky cyl on one side at rear. I think my vac advance is shot, no movement there. Get vac at tube, just barely moves dizzy when I rev it. Might be some of my power problem too. I tried to time, but light acted up, some thing with the darn bulb in tip, plus too big to get in there. I thought I timed my 54 on right side of engine, by starter, but this one has the hole on intake side. Am I dreaming? I was also thinking the gen was on right, but I must be wrong. I didn't remember having to run the wire all the way around under hood to get to starter on the 54. This thing runs too mechanically quiet, not much valve clatter. I'm wondering if someone has valves too tight, another poor perf probability?


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
When you pull a plug wire off & hold it near the plug, it increases the ignition arc. You have a weak ignition or compression or fuel mixture, the extra punch from holding the wire away is making those cylinders fire. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Letting the spark jump from the wire to the plug allows voltage to build up and jump instead of just leaking away as it develops. That's usually a sign of a carbon-fouled or oil-fouled plug. Also look into very wrong fuel mixture, either too rich or too lean.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
Glad to see your making progress on my 54 the generatoris on the left(drivers) side same with the 38


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0