The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Simso, Roy Rodgers, Gray_Ghost), 91 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 2
S
Moderated
Moderated
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 2
Hi Stovebolt friends,
I am new to the forum and a "new" owner of a 63 C10. I am just going through it and see that it has no factory backup lights, so it's not going to pass MA inspection requirements. From my research, it appears that it was an option for 63, but not sure what I need for parts. It's a 292 L6, with a 4 spd floor shift. Aside from lights and wiring, are all 4 spd 63's equipped with a switch to wire in to?

Thanks


1963 Chevy C10 - 292 L6 - 3951659

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
No, If it didn't come with the lights it would not have the switch either. It's possible the trans was swapped out at some point in it's life with another that had a switch and bracket on the replacement. If not you will need the switch, bracket, lights, and wiring. These trucks were sold as "work" vehicles and while various options were available, many didn't pay the extra few dollars to get them installed.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
In my State, if it didn’t come with it you don’t need it. That includes turn signals, seatbelts and backup lights.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 72
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 72
My 65 did not come with them either, or seat belts. Check and see but most states don't require it if it wasn't on the truck when it was produced.


1965 c-10 4 wheel drive conversion
Pix in the Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
H
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
Moderator: 60-66 Trucks; North Eastern Bolters
H Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,718
Welcome to the 60-66 crowd. I would also be surprised if your ma inspection requires the lights that were option. You may have to learn them of the lack of optional equipment but in the end, for our inspections they are required to inspect to original equip.


~ HB
1966 Chevrolet K-10 | Ghost: formerly Flappy Fenders | In the Stovebolt Gallery
1962 Chevrolet C10
1962 Suburban
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 2
S
Moderated
Moderated
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 2
Thanks for the feedback. I happen to need a sticker for my SUV this month, so I'll ask the question. The website suggests all vehicles need them. As far as the parts go, I found another thread with details on what is needed and diagrams from an accessory manual. I will have to see if I can find them via a salvage yard or a part out.


1963 Chevy C10 - 292 L6 - 3951659

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
My situation is different, but might be useful (or interesting).
I own a 1963 C10 that has nonfunctioning reverse lights. I’m not sure if they were put on at the factory, or were a dealer add on.
The reverse light lamp buckets are on the truck below the tail lights. I have a three speed on the column. The steering column sleeve has a reverse light switch that I show in this picture. So my truck at one time had functioning reverse lights. I suspect it was a dealer add on.
I have no idea where a reverse light switch would be located on a 4 on the floor truck.
None of my info directly answers your situation, but I thought I’d chime in.
Attachments

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
When Backup lights came out, this was the factory setup for 4 speed. Pretty easy to fab.
Attachments
BackupSwitch.jpg (14.71 KB, 67 downloads)
Backup switch4.jpg (23.36 KB, 67 downloads)


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
My buddy's 3100 56 truck has the same set up as what bartamos pictures show.


Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck
The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 117
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 117
The 63-66 C10-20 trucks that came with the automatic trans had provisions for the back up lights, the switch was incorporated into the factory neutral safety switch. I had a '65 C20 V8 AT that I bought new for many years, the backup lights were round, located below the tail lights. my '64 has backup lights, it is an automatic also.
From my experience, the three speed column shift transmissions had provisions incorporated into the column for the accessory backup lights. The floor shift transmissions had an accessory mounted switch that attached to the top of the transmissions.
The '67 four speed transmissions, which are the same as the earlier models, but are different from the '68 and later New Process transmissions, have a backup light switch built into the transmissions. Wm.


1964 C10 with Railroad cab
60-66 Forum
1940 Chevy G506 4x4
Big Bolts
1937 GMC T14
Project Journal

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0