The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Gray_Ghost, dt235sd, Steelonsteel, Nick in Manitou, frogfarmer, Bill Hanlon, mick53), 103 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,268
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#141470 12/19/2004 5:31 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Well the other day in Glenn's "Dang, starts right up again" post I told about rewiring the ignition on the Yard dog. I fired it up and it ran fine so I thought it was fixed. So today I tried to use it. It was doing the same old thing. It would start and run until I stepped on the clutch then cut off.

Now I know it's not the ignition wiring. So I changed the carburetor. It was still doing the same old thing. I changed the capacitor. It was still doing the same old thing. I popped the fuel line off the carb and had June spin the engine. No fuel.

Guess what? O'reilly has it in stock. I ran to town, got a fuel pump and installed it. Go to crank it up and the battery runs down before I get fuel to the carb.

Finally got it started and it runs fine again. I still haven't done the work I need to do though. In fact it still has a post hole digger dangling from the hook that was on it when it went down the first time.

The old fuel pump was the glass bowl type and the new one was the sealed up type. I decided to take the old one apart to see what it was made of. To my surprise all the working parts looked good in it. The problem was a solid coat of gunk. There is a very fine screen in there about 1" diameter and it was blocked with gunk. I believe this thing could be cleaned up and re-used. I also believe the top half, that the glass bowl fits on, could be mated to a new bottom half if you needed a new diaphram and were concerned with looking original.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
#141471 12/19/2004 5:46 AM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Glad that you got the old dog running,,Napa also have the fuel pumps..I have an extra one that I keep with me, thought it was out. bought a new one and did not need it,, do you ever buy something and end up not needing it?Fred


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#141472 12/19/2004 8:18 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 230
So ;

Are you going to re-install the fuel pump ? or toss it in the parts box as I'd use it if you don't want it , ping me off list please ~


-Nate
There is no problem so difficult it cannot be overcome by generous application of brute force & ignorance
#141473 12/19/2004 3:44 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 332
G
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 332
Cletis, sounds like you ended up spending some quality time with the "Dawg." I've been through the fuel pump thing with 'Ol Blue, too, glass bowl on top and all.

Be sure to hang onto the old fuel pump with the glass bowl, 'cause you cain't get 'em anymore. The boys in Regtown have decided that having exposed glass in a fuel system may be detrimental to a whole lot of things.


Drivin' down a 2 lane country road in a stovebolt.....cowboy, it don't get no better than this!

1946 1-1/2 ton Chevy
"Ol Blue", or "THE BIG 'UN"
#141474 12/20/2004 4:50 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
The anti-glass bowl regs must have just taken effect because I bought one last spring for my '55 first GMC. I settled for the other one this time because they had it in stock and I wanted to work. NAPA was closed Saturday afternoon.
The part numbers:
Glass bowl type- Carter, Federal-Mogul M751
Closed type- Carter, Federal-Mogul M2118

There is a rebuilt 235 in the yarddog's future and I'll clean up the old one and re-use it then.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0