The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wally / Montana), 102 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1411536 05/27/2021 5:15 AM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 41
T
Fixer of Things I Probably Broke
Fixer of Things I Probably Broke
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 41
I just scored some "new" rockers and shaft for my '53 235 and started to swap them out when I notice a discrepancy between the numbers the manual says I should be seeing and the numbers on my original rockers and replacement rockers... Here's a chart. First two columns are from the 48-51 shop manual ( http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1948_51truck/51ctsm0611.htm ) The third column is what I pulled off the truck, and the fourth is the new ones.

+------------+-------------------+-------------+---------------+------------------+
| Rocker···· | 216 & (48-49) 235 | (50-51) 235 | Off the truck | New Replacements |
+------------+-------------------+-------------+---------------+------------------+
| LH Exhaust | 1················ | 9·········· | 7············ | 7················|
+------------+-------------------+-------------+---------------+------------------+
| RH Exhaust | 2················ | 0·········· | 8············ | 8················|
+------------+-------------------+-------------+---------------+------------------+
| LH Intake· | 5················ | 3·········· | 1············ | 5················|
+------------+-------------------+-------------+---------------+------------------+
| RH Intake· | 6················ | 4·········· | 2············ | 6················|
+------------+-------------------+-------------+---------------+------------------+


(Note: 1954 Manual ( http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1954truck/54ctsm0611.html ) says all 235 are 9,0,3,4, while 261 are 1,2,5,6 -- which seems to indicate we should be rocking 9,0,3,4 for most 235's starting in 1950...)

Things currently work fine works fine with the rockers labeled 7,8,1,2,. I double checked and NO, the #1 off the truck is NOT an LH Exaust, it is most definitely a LH Intake.

The NEW rockers (7,8,5,6) look identical to the OLD ones (7,8,1,2)**, and both the new and old rockers have center oil grooves.

In the "Master Parts Catalog" ( http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/1929_57chevyparts/57cmpc0140.htm ) it seems to indicate 7,8,5,6 covers everything from 50-57...

So here are the questions:

1. Any idea where the 7812 rockers might have come from? (I have no idea the history of rebuilds on this engine)
2. Do 1,2 correlate to any year's intake rockers, or are they ALWAYS exhaust?
3. Should I go with the Master Parts Catalog numbers and quit overthinking it?

Love a good mystery...

**I'll pull out the calipers tomorrow to verify the measurements.


1953 Chevy 3100 Frankentruck with 235 and mostly original bits.
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,690
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,690
Pre68 Dave is the wizard with rocker weirdness, and would be a better authority to weigh in here.

However, here’s a couple things I’ve learned through my own experience:

1). Having a hodgepodge of different rockers is common.

2) I don’t know why the different part numbers would matter as long as:

A. Intake and exhaust and LH/RH configurations are all placed in the right spot.
B. All the rockers are truly for a 235 and not mixed with 216 rockers or some such thing.
C. Oil groove is the same and set up to match the kind of rocker shaft connector you have (see Pre68 Dave’s website)


1951 3100
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,690
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,690
Addendum:

I think 1953 may have been a bit of an oddball engine (depending what type you have). That might be a factor here.


1951 3100
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,496
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,496
Originally Posted by JW51
Pre68 Dave is the wizard with rocker weirdness, and would be a better authority to weigh in.
I agree, Pre ‘68 Dave is the authority on this subject. Here is a [LINK] to his website. You’ll see an article “235 Rocker Oiling” that you may find interesting.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I never tried to document all the subtle changes Chevrolet made through the years, but there were a few. Any time a change was made they got a new number.
Chevrolet experimented with the location of the vent hole, they also increased the hight of the backbone of the rocker as time went buy.
If the correct internal groove is used, and they contact the valve in the center, that is all I was ever concerned with.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,839
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,839
"If the shoe fits- - - - -wear it!"

If the part fits- - - - -use it!
smile
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 41
T
Fixer of Things I Probably Broke
Fixer of Things I Probably Broke
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by Pre '68 Dave
If the correct internal groove is used, and they contact the valve in the center, that is all I was ever concerned with.

That was my initial thought, but then I thought I should check with those who spent a lot more time thinking about these thoughts than I've thunk. Thanks!


1953 Chevy 3100 Frankentruck with 235 and mostly original bits.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0