The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Rusted Nut, Otto Skorzeny, Bill Hanlon, ronsway), 140 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,422
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
I drove my '57 Panel for the second time today. This time, I had the speedo hooked up.

I could tell immediately that the odometer is working as expected, but I'm not seeing the speedo lift up. I had put dry lube in it a few weeks ago, and when I spun it by hand, it reacted (as did the odometer). But this time, I saw no activity on the speedo.

I have to admit, I probably wasn't going any faster than 20 (for fear that things would start falling off of the truck, lol), but I was expecting to see some minor activity at least.

Based on the fact that the odometer works, and the speedo does not, does that mean I am looking at a new speedo gear and/or rebuild? Weird that one would work, but the other does not.


1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
After doing some reading online, it looks like the Speedo may just need more oil. I will pull it out and try again.

It was the biggest rush to see the odo working, though!! Almost like a scene out of Christine, lol.


1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,501
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,501
Hmm. The odometer is gear driven and so if it is working then we know the cable is turning and that tells us the transmission gear is probably ok. The speedometer needle relies on magnetism to make it spin, but if the needle jumps a bit when the rear bit is spun by hand that implies you do have magnetism. Make certain the needle isn't binding on the speedometer glass or somewhere on the dial. It won't take much to disable it even though the magnetic part is spinning...


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
Originally Posted by Jon G
Hmm. The odometer is gear driven and so if it is working then we know the cable is turning and that tells us the transmission gear is probably ok. The speedometer needle relies on magnetism to make it spin, but if the needle jumps a bit when the rear bit is spun by hand that implies you do have magnetism. Make certain the needle isn't binding on the speedometer glass or somewhere on the dial. It won't take much to disable it even though the magnetic part is spinning...

Thanks!

I'm hoping to tear into it today to see if I can determine what the problem is.


1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,501
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,501
I've also seen needle hubs bind on the hole in the dial, but usually you'd notice that when you install the needle.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
So I think I found my problem, or at least, a good part of it smile

Check out the pics of the inside of the housing...
Attachments
20210520_170932.jpg (136.41 KB, 115 downloads)
20210520_170945.jpg (159.05 KB, 117 downloads)
20210520_171007.jpg (129.37 KB, 114 downloads)
20210520_180043.jpg (140.73 KB, 110 downloads)


1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Looks like the muddaubers set up housekeeping. nono


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
I was not expecting to find all of that in there!!! After seeing it, I'm surprised that even the odo was working at all!


1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,501
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,501
Yes, that might do it all right.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
Originally Posted by Jon G
Yes, that might do it all right.
Lol.


1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
Looks like I'll be in need of a new speedo. Even after cleaning, nothing is happening.


1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
While I'm looking into someone repairing this speedo for me, I have to ask: has anyone ever heard of the magnets inside of these things losing their magnetic properties over time? I fully understand that the gauge is 60 years old, but I'm thinking once a magnet, always a magnet. Am I wrong on that?


1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 326
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 326
Mine still works and it is a year older than yours. You should be able to see the speedometer move when you spin the back where the pin plugs into. The magnet is a close fit inside the ‘cup’ that actually moves your needle and it should be very easy to move the needle and cup parts.

Lee


1956 Chevy 3200, 235 w/3 speed
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 431
Originally Posted by LeeD
Mine still works and it is a year older than yours. You should be able to see the speedometer move when you spin the back where the pin plugs into. The magnet is a close fit inside the ‘cup’ that actually moves your needle and it should be very easy to move the needle and cup parts.

Lee

Thanks, Lee- I can move the needle by hand and its weight returns it back to 0, but it does nothing while driving (even though the odometer moves while driving).


1957 Chevy Panel Truck, powered by SBC 350 from 1977 Camaro
Author, Bring CHANGE Into Your Life (a truly easy investment tool)
https://www.amazon.com/Bring-CHANGE-Into-truly-investment/dp/1077276869

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0