Got one of the kingpins replaced the other day. Today I was looking at the axle and noticed something not quite right. I don't think it'll drive very well that way. Picture 1.
Got it fixed today. Should work a lot better. Picture 2.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Drive? Not so much. But it would have some low rider aficionados drooling! 🤪🤪Hahaha!!
1970 Chevrolet C10 Grandpa's -- My first truck -- In progress to shiny Follow the build in the Project Journal 1950 Chevrolet 1-Ton Dually "Ole Red Girl" In the Stovebolt Gallery More pictures here 1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually--Shiny! | 1972 Chevrolet C20- Rusty- the puzzle box lid for the C10 | 1962 AMC Rambler American- my wife's Parts trucks- 1951 GMC 9300 | 1951-GMC 9430 | 1951- Chevrolet 1300
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Sometimes, when I am deep into a task, I get a bad case of tunnel vision and don't see that I am screwing up until late in the game. At those times, I need to walk away and come back to it with wider eyes and a fresh start. I can list a number of tasks that I thought were done until I stepped back and saw that I missed something while fully engaged in the task.
@tom moore: that's pretty much what happened here. My issue was that I had the axle supported upside down. I recall thinking to myself, the big holes for the backing plate/steering arms go on the bottom, but that was the top in the axles position while I was working on it. I would have seen it eventually. It's good I didn't get the other parts bolted back on yet.
Craig, I might still wind up screwing up the other side, as I'm still working on getting the original king pin out. It's being stubborn.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Sone disc brake calipers will swap side to side, but it's tough to get rid of the air in the lines with the bleeder screws on the bottom! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Got one of the kingpins replaced the other day. Today I was looking at the axle and noticed something not quite right. I don't think it'll drive very well that way. Picture 1.
Got it fixed today. Should work a lot better. Picture 2.
Every time I do kingpins I have waking nightmares of doing that. I recheck 3 times that I am doing it right, then i question if it was a good idea to end the the recheck sequence with an odd number...
Last edited by 52Carl; 05/23/202110:25 PM.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
All it cost me was one of the dust covers and some time. I was able to push one of the original dust covers out without damage, and one of the replacements when I fixed things.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.