The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, 3800GUY, Shade Baby, TooMany2count, Bluesky54), 131 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Stovebolters!
Some where in the vastness of the World Wide Web I encountered some information about how to determine your gear ratios by the numbers on the outside of a tranny. Now I cannot remember where I saw that. I have a stock 1970 GM 3 speed in my C/10. First gear is very low and so is second, and then it is a Loooonng ways to third. I am thinking of possibley swapping this out for a different transmission. One with a higher first and second.

Also I think I lost a synchro because I can't shift down into second until I drop to about 35 mph. So, anyway, if anyone knows about decoding the numbers I'd appreciate it.

One more thing I'd like to know is about rebuilding. I saw a kit with bearings and stuff that looked like a good idea since my tranny is pretty noisy. If I were to undertake a rebuild, can I use different gears in my case to change the ratios?

Thanks,
Bob

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,179
Red dot, center of chest ...
Red dot, center of chest ...
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,179
The first thing you always want to do is check our links page. You'll usually find what you're looking for there. In the case of trannys, try this:

4lo.com/


Paul Schmehl CI 6
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 22
4
Apprentice
Apprentice
4 Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 22
How about 3.50 first gear and 1.89 second.


Later JJ and 4
Keep the shiney side up
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
Depending on the transmission, you should be able to swap some different gears in, but it sounds like you would do better with a close-ratio four speed. Rebuilding the transmission should fix the syncro problem, but all you have to do is learn how to double-clutch. Another possibility is an overdrive unit or some other gear-splitter to get the inbetween ratios. Good luck


'48 Chevy 2 ton Flatbed
(daily driver)
'70 BMW 2002
My truck is older than my parents!
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 1,159
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 1,159
Thanks Paul -- Yeah, and I just added some transmission-related stuff to the Links section (In Parts under Transmission). Mostly SM420-related links, but some of those places have parts and kits for the 3-speeds, too.

Regards,
John


~ One of many.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0