I'm rebuilding a 1951 3/4 ton truck. The motor I'm using is a 1950 dated 235 (ser. #HEA xxxx) and it has the earlier 216 style exhaust manifold that dumps straight down. I went to Chev's of the 40's (a 2-1/2 hour drive from my house, but worth it to visit the auto museum and not pay any shipping) and bought their exhaust kit for a 3/4 ton truck. The kit came with a header pipe that was angled for the usual 235 exhaust manifold. I didn't notice that until I tried to fit it to my engine. Chock that one up to my fault. I had reason to be down that way last Friday so I arranged to swap my header pipe for the "correct" one. What they gave me turned out to be the header pipe for '41-'47 trucks with a 216. I gave it a try with the pictured results. The drop down is so long it sits on the tie rod (yes, the caster is correct). After searching their web site, it appears that don't sell a header pipe that is "correct" for my situation, so I'm looking at modifying the pipe I have to fit (shorten the drop and straighten out the first bend a little). My question is, what does a stock exhaust header pipe on a, let's say, 1948 truck with a 216 look like? I can't find good photos on line showing a stock exhaust system. Can anyone post some photos for me to work from? I'm curious what the pipe run from the manifold to the muffler is supposed to look like. Thanks for your help!
Brian
'51 Chevy 3604 Project '28 Chevy LO basket case '83 GMC Sierra 4x4
Brian I don't know anything about the 216 straight dump exhaust, but cutting this exhaust pipe in the vertical drop, straightening the bend just a bit, using an outside collar (available from any muffler shop) and welding (or preferably brazing) the thing back together would work. From what I see in the second image above, it seems the best answer of all would be to get two 45 degree outside collars and a straight section of exhaust pipe. Install the first collar about 8 inches down from the manifold, insert a straight pipe of maybe 12 to 14 inches (whatever length will get your overall mounting height correct once the 2nd 45 degree collar is installed) and then install the second 45 degree collar. That way the exhaust pipe misses your steering/suspension completely. Good luck!
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
I think the real culprit is the 216 manifold heading straight down. It may be off an earlier model or possibly a car. All of the manifolds and exhaust pipes that I have seen, have been the ones that are angled toward the back which would clear the tie rods.
Short of replacing the manifold, I think modifying the new pipe as Jon has suggested would be your best bet.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Any good muffler shop should be able to add a few bends to the pipe so you don't have to cut and weld.
I used a long piece of #4 solid copper ground wire and bent it the way I needed the exhaust pipe to go, took it to the muffler shop and they made the pipe using my bent wire template...worked great!
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD
I got to thinking, but a late 1947 and all 1948 trucks would use the straight down head pipe, and would fit your setup. It may be such a short production run that no one stocks one though.
This may or may not be relevant to this topic....but a data point nonetheless.
I took the original exhaust “bending card” to a local shop for my 1951 half ton so I could assemble at home.
We could NOT get the header pipe to line up correctly with the manifold. Finally just gave up trying to make it work and took them what remained of the old rusty header pipe to duplicate the angle.
My truck has a later 235. My theory was there must be some subtle difference in the outlet angle of the manifold. But I believe a 1951 216 (which should have been the template for the bending card) should have had an angled outlet, anyway.
Thank you all for your replies. I did give thought to finding a later 235 exhaust manifold when I had the first exhaust header pipe. I really figured Chevs of the '40's would have the correct one for my truck so decided to trade them out. I really don't want to trade again, so I'm committed to modifying the pipe that I have. I was hoping someone with a 216 set up would post some photos. I just can't find any on the internet, or in this site's galleries. I'll figure out what the maximum vertical travel of the front axle is and make sure I give the pipe enough clearance. Thanks again for the input.
Brian
'51 Chevy 3604 Project '28 Chevy LO basket case '83 GMC Sierra 4x4
Brian, my set up is a 1950 3100 with a 1957 235..but , I used my original 216 manifolds for the set up. It was also converted to "dual" exhaust like the corvette I believe. Here are some pictures. If you need more send me a PM.. I obviously opted for dual to a single pipe. Hope this helps. Todd
Brian, my set up is a 1950 3100 with a 1957 235..but , I used my original 216 manifolds for the set up. It was also converted to "dual" exhaust like the corvette I believe. Here are some pictures. If you need more send me a PM.. I obviously opted for dual to a single pipe. Hope this helps. Todd
Thank you for posting some photos of your set up. It looks really clean! I see you've got an AC oil filter housing. Did you restore that one, and if so, where did you get the decals for the lettering around the cap rim?
Brian
'51 Chevy 3604 Project '28 Chevy LO basket case '83 GMC Sierra 4x4