The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Woogeroo, sparky46, Otto Skorzeny, lumbersawyer), 155 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,104
Posts1,056,201
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1408661 05/04/2021 11:06 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 70
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 70
After nearly 4 years I’m so close to getting this thing on the road. 47 Chevy loadmaster 2 ton. I thought for sure I’d be driving it by now but these doors are killing me. I cannot get them adjusted right. Ives ordered new strike plates as grandpa apparently did some welding on the old ones and I think it’s causing me issues. My questions should I get new hinges? Mine has some play. Meaning they are bolted in and I can grab the arms and they move up and down a bit. And it feels like my door needs to be higher to match up right with the strike plate. Should there be any up and down play?
Next the hood. It shuts and lines up pretty good except it needs to drop down about 3/4” towards the cowl. If I could make it drop the fenders would look really good. Again it’s the back of the hood closest to the windshield that needs to drop. Adding a pic. Any suggestions? I’m so eager to get it licensed and take it for a real drive.
Attachments
9082DD3B-9283-4BA1-8982-33D0A688D2EC.jpeg (144.23 KB, 144 downloads)

ljblue #1408670 05/04/2021 11:49 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 70
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 70
Should have asked more specifically. Have any guidance or PDFs on adjusting the hood? Seems like shoulder bolts with holes and no slots to adjust.

ljblue #1408671 05/04/2021 11:49 PM
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Originally Posted by ljblue
My questions should I get new hinges? Mine has some play. Meaning they are bolted in and I can grab the arms and they move up and down a bit.
The door should have no up and down movement, indicating the hinges are worn. All the post I’ve seen about hinges, is to rebuild the originals. The repops don’t seem to fit as well. Rebuild kits can be bought a most online vendors.
Originally Posted by ljblue
Next the hood. It shuts and lines up pretty good except it needs to drop down about 3/4” towards the cowl. If I could make it drop the fenders would look really good. Again it’s the back of the hood closest to the windshield that needs to drop.
There was just a post on this same issue. Basically you need to do a complete realignment of the front clip. There are a few sections in the Shop Manual that cover this, but a fellow ‘bolter, 52Carl wrote a simplified version that many have used with success. Here is a [LINK] to that post.
Good Luck!

Last edited by Phak1; 05/04/2021 11:54 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
ljblue #1409215 05/09/2021 7:55 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
LJblue My 51 6400 looks just like that !!

ljblue #1409233 05/09/2021 10:03 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,291
Strongly recommend you rebuild your door hinges. You will not like "new " ones . Here is a very good YouTube video by Jerry Kassis for "The Filling Station" , click it , or copy and paste it into your browser -
Phak1 provided a link to a very good write up by 52Carl that will help you get that hood alignment improved.

Last edited by Dusty53; 05/09/2021 10:04 PM. Reason: added text

Ron - - Dusty53
1954 Chevy 3604
In the Gallery Forum
"You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell."
"They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel."
ljblue #1410895 05/22/2021 1:43 PM
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 70
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2016
Posts: 70
Hey guys. Checking back in. Got the passenger door working. The new strike plate fixed that one. It was too easy! The driver door needs some work. It’s buckling a bit so im going to brace it. The hinges on that side are shot. They are nearly in pieces so I have to replace the driver hinges. This being my first round of working on an old vehicle I did a poor job or aligning the cab corner. It’s too far toward and the door is touching it. Ugh im going to have to cut a piece of it out and reweld it back in.

Fixite I’d love to see a pic? Here’s a better pic as of now
Attachments

Last edited by ljblue; 05/22/2021 1:45 PM.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0