The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (MikeE, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 170 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#140708 04/14/2004 12:24 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
I am trying to find a rear brake drum for my 1950 GMC 353-24 2 ton truck. Does anyone know of a supplier? No one locally seems to be able to help. Also, is my cab the same as the smaller trucks? I emailed American Classic today and they didn't know if the rubber parts would fit my cab.

#140709 04/14/2004 1:53 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
Cab stuff all the same, cept maybe the floor cover over the trans and vac fittings for brakes coming in firewall area. You may also have a dash switch for brakes if a "tractor" truck. Rubber is all the same, and glass, and most other stuff!
I had 2 55 drums, but they are diff than the 53 and earlier ones. Think you'll be going to yards to find rears to get a drum off. Easier to take off the whole hub by the big nuts under axle than to take off the drum only. Some of those had three flat head screws, but very hard to get out. Wouldn't think they would charge much for the part, it won't fit more modern axles like 54 up will.


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
#140710 04/14/2004 2:03 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 265
Thanks G.L. I'll order the cab stuff tomorrow and see if I can find a yard with an old axle. The older ones must be an inch larger because everyone can find the 15" but not the 16"

#140711 04/21/2004 3:52 AM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 90
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 90
Hi-

I thought I would put feelers out here for 2 ton truck parts.

I have a 1.5 ton truck that needs a cab. I have found 2 complete 2ton Chevy trucks for free that have decent tin on them. I will need to cut the frame in half behind the cab to even get these trucks. I don't have a trailer big enough to haul these complete.

Since I only really need one of the cabs, What is the market for the fenders, grills etc. for these bigger trucks. I would like to recover some of the costs to go out and get em.

Also, what are people really looking for on parts for these trucks. Any rear ends or ??? Is anyone willing to come and get the parts for these big trucks if you offer them for sale because of the hassle and shipping costs involved?

I live in Colorado.

Brent

Thanks for any input.

#140712 04/21/2004 3:54 AM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 90
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 90
I forgot to mention these trucks are 49->52 trucks.
Thanks,

Brent

#140713 04/21/2004 9:18 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
Not a big market for bigger parts, as you know, shipping becomes the barrier. Fella above needed a drum? What you got? Save a brake boooster if
it's good, always need those! PTO's and trans with brakes are keeper parts, maybe the drive shaft of fittings anyway if you have room to keep. Wheels with good tires on them, you can change one piece are a plus. Don't be afraid of cracks in the rubber on tires, they last long time!


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
#140714 04/22/2004 4:39 AM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 90
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 90
Thanks,

That is kinda what I thought. I will give it some thought on what I will keep. As for drums and stuff I feel for the guys that need the parts cause I have been in that situation but 3 hours of my time doesn't warrant a 20 dollar drum.. Ya know what I mean? Not to sound cold.

I will see what it take to get the rear axles. If a tractor is around I might grab em.

Thanks,

Brent


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0