The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (BC59, 46truck, Ponchogl, Shade Baby, Hotrod Lincoln, Woodcmiami, 1 invisible), 112 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,121
Posts1,056,328
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
I have a 1953 GMC 9430, it has a dump bed that I am struggling to find any information on. The Tag on the dump frame syas "Sherwood" Model S45 (Regina, Saskatchewan). the Pull knob for the PTO says Grainmaster on it. Sherwood doesnt exist that I can see, and Grainmaster is in Manitoba, but has no infomration on any older units. Sherwood is an rural area of Regina, I figure this was installed by a company from the area using Grainmaster components?
The frame is a single Cylinder scissor lift. The Cylinder is where I am struggling, it has no part numbers or stamped idetification. It leaks, and I can not find a replacment that matches its dimeneions, so I decided I can rebuild it. But I can't figure out how to open the it! once open, its just a hand full of seals. Has anyone ever seen this type of Cylinder? or have any information on it?
Take a look at the attatched picture of the gland head. It looks like there is some sort of coil/split ring lockig ring (the thin black ring running arround the inside edge of the cap), but it is under the 3 posts on the cap, I cant figure how to remove it.
Attachments
IMG_20210406_080128_c.jpg (505.22 KB, 165 downloads)

Last edited by farmtruck53; 04/06/2021 3:33 PM.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Does the top of the cylinder unscrew from the body using a drift punch and hammer?


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
It doesnt seem to, I have tried. The retaining ring I can see would be holding it in even if it would turn. I think that retaining ring has to come out first somehow. It looks a bit like a spirolox style retianing ring. But the way it is installed in the head, I just cant see how to get it out. I'll try and take some Macro pictures of the ring.

Added some pictures. You can se it is some kind of layered spring to lock it in. The second picture you can see where it is split like a Spirolox.
Attachments
IMG_20210406_091344.jpg (139.79 KB, 154 downloads)
IMG_20210406_091318.jpg (200.87 KB, 157 downloads)
IMG_20210406_091251.jpg (219.13 KB, 153 downloads)

Last edited by farmtruck53; 04/06/2021 4:18 PM. Reason: picutres
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
Maybe you need to screw it in to release the keeper ring
Then it unscrews out ?

Do you have access to an X-ray machine? I’ve used one at work for situations like these, just need to keep messing with beam power and integration time until you get a reasonable image.
-s

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,072
If that's a spiral ring, you probably need to "unscrew" it from the three ears. It should be flexible enough that you could do that. Like 2ManyTrucks suggested, maybe the plug needs to be screwed in a bit to release the pressure on the ring.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
Alright. I had another go at it. The gland cap does turn, though its not threaded. The fluid fitting actually goes through the cylinder barrel, and threads into the gland cap. So that fluid fitting had to be removed first, then the cap turns. I was then able to spin the cap to help the split retaining ring to uncoil from the groove.
Once that was out of the way, it was pretty simple to tap it appart and remove the seals. Now I just need to match up the seals with replacments and put it all back together!
Attachments
IMG_20210406_171852.jpg (124.79 KB, 136 downloads)
IMG_20210406_173137.jpg (254.48 KB, 135 downloads)
IMG_20210406_173150.jpg (200.58 KB, 134 downloads)
IMG_20210406_181154.jpg (173.01 KB, 135 downloads)
IMG_20210406_183424.jpg (207.98 KB, 134 downloads)

Last edited by farmtruck53; 04/07/2021 2:29 AM.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
thumbs_up


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
Is there just the one ram for the hoist? My 52 GMC 9430 has two. I found out my truck was made in Oshawa, shipped to Saskatewan, and had the hoist installed out there. My system has Robin-Nodwell cast into the parts. My understanding that there were several businesses installing these at the time. When I got my cylinders apart (3 part telescoping), I took them to local business that rebuild hoists (I could not get the cylinder flange off as I did not have a 5 inch wrench to turn it). They told me that the manufacturer no longer existed but they should be able to match up a seal kit.

You might want to take the parts into your local hoist/hydraulic business and talk to them.
James S.
Attachments
52 GMC Left hoist cyl.JPG (32.11 KB, 105 downloads)
52 GMC twin hydraulic rams.JPG (42.12 KB, 105 downloads)

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
Yeah, mine has a single 4" bore 10" stroke cylinder on a scissor lift. I dropped off all the wear parts, seals and such at a hydraulics seals supplier locally. Just dropped them today. They said they would have no problem matching them up.
I'll take some pictures when I get it all back together.

Last edited by farmtruck53; 04/09/2021 2:30 PM.
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
Farmtruck 53 They're right find your local hydraulic shop,bet they can help you ! my local shop is a guys all common as dirt type place like FLAPS except FLHRS freindly local hydraulic repair shop ! Take donuts ! about 8:30 AM LOL Good Luck !!

Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
Thanks for the reminder about donuts, I dropped of my rams last week and will be going in this week to see what's up. James S

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
I'm told I can pick up all the parts on Monday. $33 for all the parts, pretty cheap rebuild. It shouldn't take me long to get it back together.

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
I picked up the seals. Finished rebuilding the cylinder, welded a new cross tube to it with a grease nipple and a fresh coat of paint.
I'll get some pictures once it is back on the truck too.
Attachments
IMG_20210416_232715.jpg (187.64 KB, 104 downloads)

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Looking good!


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
I have information about ROBIN hydraulic systems for anyone who is interested. This is a truck hoist system from the 50' and early 60's. I have it on pdf so I cannot post it here. James S

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
I have it all re-assembled now. I had to weld new ears into the frame for the cross tube pin. Here are a few pictures of the scissor lift. I am hoping to prime the system and lift the bed soon. Then I can finish cleaning up rust and painting the frame.
Attachments
IMG_20210529_104402.jpg (264.75 KB, 92 downloads)
IMG_20210529_104420.jpg (227.51 KB, 90 downloads)

Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
Finally have mine repaired, installed and tested. No leaks!!
Attachments

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,808
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,808
Looking good! I'll bet that with a little dedicated tinkering, it wouldn't be too difficult to assemble a square tubing subframe and add a couple of lift cylinders to convert a regular pickup bed to a dump. I've seen some conversions that used a power steering pump and a big fluid reservoir tank for hydraulic power.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 8
I finally got it out of the garage so I can test out the hydraulics. Had to deal with a clutch issue first. A few pictures of the scissor mechanism extended. Hydraulics working well, no leaks!
Attachments
2021-06-19 (7).jpg (361.99 KB, 41 downloads)
2021-06-19 (5).jpg (266.2 KB, 42 downloads)
2021-06-19 (6).jpg (429.72 KB, 40 downloads)
2021-06-19 (1).jpg (370.63 KB, 38 downloads)

Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
Looks really good, nice hieght on the the lift. I am looking forward to seeing it all assembled.

Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
Any suggestions for a lift lock? I would like to have the box up at car shows, but do not trust some idiot in the audience from hitting the lowering lever while someone else is looking at the hydraulics. Some people are born dumb and then increase their stupidity to an art form. I do not want to get caught up in the fall out of an asinine practical joke that may prove to be lethal. I have twin-triple staging hydraulic rams, so the usual U-channel iron on top of the ram will not work.


Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0