The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TooMany2count, 1955 1 Series, Shade Baby, Gray_Ghost), 157 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
52 GMC 9430 Canadian 1 Ton
I managed to get the hydraulic to lift about 4 feet. Blew fluid all over the place. There is definitely water in the hydraulics. The cylinders looks like my leg did when I fell of my motorcycle (lots of road rash). Anyone have suggestions on how to repair this? Otherwise I plan on alot of fine sanding, new seals (if I can find them) and new fluid (when I figure out what I should use). It is a ROBIN hydraulic system from Calgary (according to the name cast in all the parts).

James S
Attachments
52 GMC close-up of 3 part ram.JPG (34.11 KB, 75 downloads)
52 GMC raised box.JPG (43.03 KB, 78 downloads)
52 GMC twin hydraulic rams.JPG (42.12 KB, 73 downloads)

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 62
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 62
A good hydraulic shop should be able to find seals. If there's a shop in your area that re-chromes rams it might not hurt getting a price.

Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 28
Well I have started dissassembling the cylinders. Anyone know where I can get a 5" wrench to take of the top of the cylinder for the hoist? I have the small and medium rams out, but the large ram is still stuck in the cylinder. Also drained the remaining hydraulic oil, it came out looking like light chocolate milk.
James S
Attachments

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
Hey James,
You are venturing where few dare to go. I used a 10 weight tractor hydraulic fluid in the ram on my 1941 Hercules dumper. You may need to make your own wrench with some steel plate and a cutting torch, brute ugly but will work for a one time use like yours. McMaster-Carr may have the seals that you need. https://www.mcmaster.com/
Paul


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0