The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 132 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1403950 03/31/2021 3:14 AM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 150
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 150
Hello all,
I am doing pre-get it home planning on the stone stock '53 (216/three on the tree) I plan on getting this coming weekend.
Plans are to mod it little as possible to keep it old and stodgy..
As they come stock with 4.11s and I don't want to max out at 50mph, I have been looking for higher gears.
All I can find are 3.55s.
Does anyone make a 3.08 (+/-) set?

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
Originally Posted by Crowbar65
All I can find are 3.55s.
Does anyone make a 3.08 (+/-) set?
Even if you could find a set of 3.08’s, I’m not sure you would want them. On paper, it sounds good. If a 3.55 will give you 60-65 MPH a 3.08 should give you 70-75 right.

A 216 does not make enough HP to drive a set of 3.08’s efficiently. Changing to a higher gear ratio is at a cost of low speed power. Taking off you would have to slip the clutch so much it would burn out early. You wouldn’t be able to haul anything more that a cooler full of beer, nor climb any hill. Starting on a hill would be a real challenge.

A set of 3.55’s are ideal for the 215. They will give you 60-65 MPH, without sacrificing too much low end power, thus the reason that is all you find.

Our trucks were built for the roads and highways that were around in the early fifty’s. You didn’t see 70 MPH speed limits. They handle and stop great at those intended lower speeds. If you want to go 70-75 you will have to update at a minimum your braking system and ideally suspension systems for better handling..


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,363
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,363
What Phil said. My '51 is running 4.11 gears with a T5 transmission that has a .72 5th gear. When in 5th the overall ratio is 2.96 which is pretty close to the mentioned 3.08 ratio. With my bone stock 56,000 mile 216, I can cruise at a very nice comfortable 60 to 65.....on flat ground when there is NO headwind. Change either on of those two parameters and it's back to 4th gear (1 to 1) with a comfortable 55 to 60 mph.

My vote would be for the 3.55s if I were running a non-overdrive tranny.

Good Luck,

RonR

Last edited by moparguy; 03/31/2021 1:45 PM.

RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 362
Originally Posted by Crowbar65
As they come stock with 4.11s and I don't want to max out at 50mph

I put quite a few trouble free miles on my '50 with a 216, 3spd, and 4.11s, highway cruising at around 60.

It now has a T5 (.76 5th?) and a 3.90 rear behind the 216, and it cruises comfortably at 65.

I agree with Phil and RonR above. A few times with a slight downhill run on the highway, I've tickled some upper 70s just enough to register on the GPS speedo on my phone before I backed off to a comfortable cruising speed. One hot day coming home from work last summer, floored in 5th on a flat stretch of I45, it topped out at 72 for about 3/4 mile. The RPMs were just fine, it just didn't have the beans to climb any higher.

Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 156
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 156
Good stuff here to know. So when I get my '54 235 3 speed with ASSumed 3.90 gears running down the road (after paint, put together, and hopefully get title cuz there ain't no title), I should have a decent cruze at 55-60.


54 Chevy 3100 Deluxe 3 speed on column. Keeping original as possible but changed to 12 volt system.
JB Weld..."I put that stuff on everything"
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 150
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 150
I'm just looking to not cause a back up on the side roads.
Good thing I live in the country.
Folks on the highways around here are none too friendly.
I plan some upgrades to the brakes, tapered bearings, etc...for more modern streetability.
Totally agree on the lack of power issue.
Thanks for the inputs.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
My '50 came with a 308 rear end and a 235 engine. It could not get out of its own way in first gear. I did burn up the clutch in short order as well.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0