The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Millenimech, papas52), 145 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,266
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1401457 03/15/2021 12:58 PM
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 87
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 87
Hi, I have a 1951 GMC 1/2 ton pickup with a stock GM rear with torque tube. I have a few leaks I'd like to fix. One is at the back cover, easy enough. But the other is at the joint between one half (axles) and the other half. My question is this, if I remove the cover and axles, will I be able to separate the one half from the ohter half to slip in a gasket and fix the leak?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Attachments
Differential Leak.png (3.66 MB, 124 downloads)

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Short answer - Yes.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 119
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 119
That is a pretty tricky repair to make with the axle assembly in the vehicle.

You are correct that you need to remove the rear cover so you can pull the axle shafts out of the carrier. I strongly recommend that you plan to replace the axle shaft seals when you do that.

The "trick' is that you need to slide the axle housing to the rear far enough so that the whole differential carrier assembly is out of and ahead of the axle housing. You will need to support the carrier assembly and torque tube as you move the axle housing to the rear. You do not want that assembly with the torque tube to drop beyond normal travel.

Take a look at the distance between the top of the leaf springs behind the axle and the bottom of the frame rail. That distance decreases as you look to the rear. If that measurement gets as small as the outside diameter of the axle housing tube, that becomes the rearward travel limit. I do not expect that will be a problem. Just check it first.

Remember that there some locating pins to hold the axle in position on the springs. You will need to lift the housing a little bit to clear them in order to slide the it to the rear. And watch the brake hose!! I expect it is not long enough to let you slide things to the rear as far as you need. Obviously you will also need to disconnect the parking brake cables.


Rusty
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 268
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 268
If I'm not mistaken I don't think his axle is in the vehicle anymore. Going by an earlier post


1949 gmc 1-ton
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Originally Posted by Johnny N
If I'm not mistaken I don't think his axle is in the vehicle anymore. Going by an earlier post
Yep, The picture posted above shows the axle out of the truck. No frame in the pic and u-joint cover dangling back by the diff.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 119
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 119
Thanks for the correction. Now that I look at the picture I see it is out of the vehicle. That will make life a lot easier!


Rusty
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 87
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 87
Awesome all. thank you for the help. Yep, the whole assembly is out of the vehicle. I will plan on replacing the axle bearings and seals while i have it apart. Looks like parts should be available.

Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 322
T
Professional procrastinator
Professional procrastinator
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 322
With unit out of vehicle the job is simple. Seals as stated. There is a thin gasket on the drive shaft side and a thicker gasket on the cover side. Make sure you have those on hand too.


1947.2 GMC 1/2T SWB panel
1947.2 GMC 1/2T long bed
1948 GMC 1/2T short bed

Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 87
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 87
thank you Twin Jimmy, I'll get them on order


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0