The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (MickeyP, Cletus1950, 78buckshot, Nick in Manitou), 102 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
My steering wheel had 17 cracks with 11 of them going all the way through. I cheaped out on tape (bad idea) and had some overspray land on top of the clear coat over the white section (pic 1). Am I right to think I can sand it off with 1200 grit sand paper and polish the shine back? Also the clear coat at the top and bottom of the wheel dried to quickly and got a little bumpy (pic 2&3). It was at the very end so I thought, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that I could use the same method for removing the bumpyness and polish the shine back into it. Is there a product anyone would recommend for polishing after sanding with the 1200 if it is right to do so?
Attachments
20210312_115544.jpg (210.86 KB, 141 downloads)
20210312_115626.jpg (341.56 KB, 144 downloads)
20210312_115719.jpg (321.97 KB, 135 downloads)


62' GMC Fleetside 3/4 ton 235 4-speed.
Time makes fools of us all.
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 14
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 14
Start with just using polishing compound to remove overspray. If that does not work then 2000-3000 grit sand paper would remove it. Then polish afterwards. 1200 grit is too coarse. If there is enough paint to sand the bumps flat, then you can use the same method do deal with it. Just be careful not to sand thru the paint.


1947 3100 Delux
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
Thank you, I will try that out. I thought that 1200 may be to coarse, now I know not to listen to the guy at napa when it comes to painting.

is there a polishing compound anyone would recommend, or am I pretty safe using just about any of them?


62' GMC Fleetside 3/4 ton 235 4-speed.
Time makes fools of us all.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0