The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, Peggy M, klhansen, Hanks custodian), 73 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,390
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
So I have a Disc brake kit that will be going on my truck some time this spring. I have a new Manual Dual MC (going Disc / drum combo). What I am wondering about is what have people done for access to the MC? I have an idea for what I want to do and will share that with everyone soon. Other than the remote reservoir what have people done, or not done. I am guessing that the original hole in the floor won't line up to the new set up. Even if it did I am doubtful that it would be big enough to easily add fluid. I look forward to what solutions you have come up with.


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,488
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,488
As you already know, they make a remote fill kits for the dual master cylinders. If you have an original bench seat, you could mount the remote reservoir under there. Out of sight and fairly easy to reach.

Last edited by Phak1; 03/04/2021 1:12 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: β€˜59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
You don't need a big hole, just one directly above the divider between the two chambers of the dual cylinder. The filler tube can be angled towards each chamber to fill. We have a pressurized dispenser with a U shaped tube to fill from underneath but on my old Buick I just check the level with a flex head mirror and fill with a douche ball till it overflows.


Evan
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
+1 on the new hole in the floor. Big PITA is getting the bailer wire off to the side so you can remove the top. Bigger PITA to get it back after checking / filling the fluid. It's a once a year thing for me so I live with it.


Gord πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Perhaps undo the bailer wire from underneath and visibly check the level and fill from above.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
While I know that I am a fairly "stuck in my Ways" kind of guy. I knew that I wasn't ever going to use a remote reservoir for the MC. I am, however, getting older and well I like to find "easier ways" of doing things. That being said when I bought my truck it came with a few extra parts. One of those parts was a spare battery cover. So my thoughts are to use this extra Battery cover and locate it over the new MC. I have never seen this done before but I sure I am not the first person to do this.


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 204
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 204
I just move the hole back a few inches. Works for me!
Attachments
20180301_150013.jpg (101.25 KB, 135 downloads)


1955 First series 3600 3/4-ton
"A Great Starting Point"
Follow the story and pix in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 204
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 204
!
Attachments
20180301_114722.jpg (109.95 KB, 131 downloads)


1955 First series 3600 3/4-ton
"A Great Starting Point"
Follow the story and pix in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Originally Posted by EdPruss
Perhaps undo the bailer wire from underneath and visibly check the level and fill from above.

Ed

Yes, that's what I do. A "special"* tool helps.

* Take an old screwdriver and bend it in the middle. This way you can pry the wire up before your hand hits the floor.


Gord πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 81
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by Brian Moore
So my thoughts are to use this extra Battery cover and locate it over the new MC. I have never seen this done before but I sure I am not the first person to do this.

I don't know why more folks don't do this, it gives you a lot more space to work when servicing the master cylinder. I think it took me less than 10 minutes to do mine with a cutoff wheel and a hand break to make the flange.

Steve


Steve


1946 1/2 ton
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
Steve do you have any pictures>?? I was figuring I would use a pneumatic flanging tool.


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 71
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 71
I installed a power disc kit on my 51. I just cut a larger hole above my master cylinder and placed a β€œpatch” over it. My entire floor is covered with dyna mat and new carpet so it’s hidden.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0