| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,260 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2019 Posts: 74 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2019 Posts: 74 | Hi,
I have a 1957 chevy with factory 265. When I purchased the truck it was missing the balancer. I have heard I need one that has a riveted pulley? I have read that the riveted pulley was used on the car 265/283's, did the truck use the same? Does any one have a factory 265 truck engine that can post a pic of theirs?
Thanks | | | | | Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 1,989 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 1,989 | I've got the original 283 in my '57, I would think the balancer is the same. I'll take a look at it and ty to describe it but probably no photo, the lense on my phone took a hit.
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 | Unless you're trying to build some sort of 100% original show car, you've been misinformed. Any 6" diameter balancer will fit, up to a mid-1970's 307, and all the mid-1960's 283's. These have a single groove pulley that bolts on with three short 3/8-24 bolts. Brand new 6" balancers are available on Ebay, and so are the single-sheave pulleys. Or, you could search for a 65 year old piece of scrap iron with a riveted pulley- - - -your choice! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2019 Posts: 74 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2019 Posts: 74 | | | |
| |
| |