Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,613 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 8 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 8 | I have a 1941 GMC ont ton, it has the large 6 lug bolt pattern on the front, like the military trucks. I have the 8 lug in the rear, dually. I would like to know what 8 lug front drumbs and hubs will interchange without changing the front axle.I like the dually rims and dont want to carry two spare tires.Thanks for any help you can give me. Gary
Drag em home, fix em and drive em.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I don't know the answer to your question.
I'm thinking either your front or your rear has already been changed. I'd suspect the rear, but don't really know. I believe Chevy used 6-lug wheels on 3/4-ton trucks at about the same your truck was built so I wouldn't be surprised if the same hubs were used on 1-ton trucks.
That's all just guessing so take it for what its worth...
If you want to carry a single spare and have it match the rear you now have, you'll need to be sure what front hubs could take the same wheels.
Do you know what the rear is?
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 477 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2001 Posts: 477 | wellll, they did make an 8 lug spindle and hub that's 8 lug. but think it through, 8 bolts to undo both springs, and a pittman arm end, and 2 brake hoses. entire axle swap, 1 afternoon. good time for new king pins and bushings too, while off the truck. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 179 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 179 | If the front axle has a six lug "bud" type wheel, it's likley not your original GM axle.
Joe McNeel
http://mcneelnet.com/~jmcneel/59.html
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 481 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 481 | My 46 Chevy second design 3/4 ton (47 first series same thing) has 8 lug wheels front and rear but not dually. The 3/4 and 1 ton used the same front axle from 46 second design-52, if that's any help. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 8 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 8 | I am sure the rear axle has been changed, now 8 lug full floating, I guess a 1946 or 47.The front is different from a 3/4 ton, it has the extension past the drumb, I guess the front fenders are wider than a 1/2 ton but not cut out as large as the 2 ton trucks. I wish I could find a one ton front axle , 8 lug , out of a 1946 or 47 or even one from a 1 1/2 ton. Im in Florida, thats the problem , not many parts trucks here and shipping a axle would cost a lot. Gary
Drag em home, fix em and drive em.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 185 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 185 | Howdy Gary. Have you considered wheel adapters for the front? http://www.wheeladapter.com/DuallyAdapters.asp I think that Stockton Wheel Service can give you a hand. <hr color=blue size=3><font color=red size=3>EDIT:</font> There is an article that you might find interesting in the current issue of Truckin': Cadually H&H Trailer's intense heavy-duty Chevy Here\'s the truck. Adapters were used to fit Alcoa 22" ten lug wheels. <hr color=red size=3> | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 8 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 8 | Thanks for all the help guys, maybe the adapters are worth looking into,I think first I will look around for a one ton axle, might be hard to find local. Gary
Drag em home, fix em and drive em.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 185 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 185 | The 3/4 and one ton axles might be the same. Maybe somebody out there in Stovebolt Land can help you by cross referencing the part numbers. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | I'm thinking that the 1-ton trucks had bigger front drums, but I'm not positive. The rears should be the same. | | |
| |