This might belong in Drivelines, but I have a 1961 Chevy C10 with a 235 and a 4-speed floor shift.
When I removed the engine, I did it with the 4-speed attached. I recall asking if I could remove just the engine and the consensus was they (engine with trans attached) needed to come out as one unit and so it did. The issue was the center of gravity is far back and it was difficult to position it and clear the firewall. I had to remove the top of the transmission to do so. The engine and transmission are overhauled and ready to go back this week. The shop manual states that for service, the trans can be removed and replaced through the floor opening with the engine in place. So -- who has experience with mounting the engine first (235 original to the truck) and then attaching the transmission after?
I have a lift bar just for this job so engine and trans can be installed together. If you PM me I am happy to loan it out to a fellow Bolter. My doctors office shares it's parking lot with the soccer stadium near Main and the Tollway in Frisco so could get it that close on next appointment.
Bar: Lift chain can be moved to have engine at correct angle for stabbing and then moved to have level. The 1/2" nuts tacked to underside keep lift bar above rocker arms. Two rocker stand bolts are removed and longer bolts used (except for 216's which have long studs. The lift bar has holes for 194 to 261 Stovebolt engines, flathead 6 Pontiac, and straight 8 Buick but can be drilled for any inline pattern
If its a 4 spd. the floor should be a high hump with a removable section of the floor .If so the trans. can be installed with someone guiding the trans. through the hole in the floor and someone lifting the trans. with a floor jack from below. Although my trans. is a lighter t 5 I've done this a number of times with just the help of one person in the truck lifting with a rope around the trans. and me guiding it into place from below. You might also consider a 4x4 running across from one door to the other and a chain fall lifting the trans. with the heavier trans.
Install the engine and bellhousing, with the clutch attached and aligned. Then lift the transmission into place by putting the engine lift through an open door. It's a lot simpler to handle the components individually. I've also used an 8 foot 4 X 4 resting on the window sills with both doors open and a cable come-along to lift a 4 speed into position. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Agree with above. Sling it on a cherry picker. Drop it down from above or slide it under and lift it up. Whichever works for you. Shifter handle off. Align it, insert input shaft into motor, rotate shaft by turning trans from rear, in gear, until splines mate, then shove it in further. I've used long bolts to find the threads in the bell housing, then swap to correct bolts when tranny gets nearer to docking. Slinging it on a chain, as opposed to a jack, allows for X Y Z and clocking axis movement. You can use a jack to supplement the cherry picker if you can't get the tilt you need.
Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn