The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Rusty Heaps, 3B, MickeyP, 37 GC, BC59, bluechev, 1 invisible), 108 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,628
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1394280 01/25/2021 8:54 PM
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
My truck has a 235 in it. I think it came with one from the factory based on my serial number
1502CJ2425B
did they normally put the V6 emblems on the hood of these?

maybe somebody had put a V6 in it once them went back to the 235? one of my motor mounts is cut out with a torch it looks like.


62' GMC Fleetside 3/4 ton 235 4-speed.
Time makes fools of us all.
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,458
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,458
would have come with a V6.
GMC didn't use Chevy engines in those years, later on used some 230 / 250 inlines.


BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Your ‘62 GMC very likely came with a 305 V6 and over the years someone swapped a Chevy 235 I-6 in its place. GMC would not have had a 235 from the factory. 235 was a Chevy engine. The serial # gurus will be along shortly to prove me wrong.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
I thought the J in the serial number was 235 I guess I'm not as good at sipherin' that stuff as I thought

is the J for Janesville?

Last edited by TerenceandMary; 01/25/2021 10:05 PM.

62' GMC Fleetside 3/4 ton 235 4-speed.
Time makes fools of us all.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
1. If USA built after 1963, if it came with a 6 cylinder, the VIN should have an I (eye) as the first digit.
2. The VIN you have reads 3/4T long bed, built in Oakland, CA, 1962 year. USA built.
3. The USA built GMC's had only V6 available until 1964, then a straight 6 was offered as an option. Not a 235 though.
4. Canadian built GMC was a clone of a Canadian Chevy, which was a clone of a USA built Chevy. No V6's. Straight 6 only.

Yours has a transplanted motor or is possibly some sort of hybrid. Double check the motor. Give us the stamped motor ID. Also, state what type suspension you see in rear to see if it's a Chevy chassis. (Canadian)


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
15= 3/4T, 02= long bed, C= Oakland, J= 1962, 2425= Sequential build number, B= 6001-1000 GVWR

Martin was RIGHT ON. That's why he gets paid big bucks.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
when the snow stops I will check the stamped motor number and post it.
my rear suspension is cobbled, It had been overloaded by PO to the point that the shock absorber mounts were torn from the frame and the rear cross member under the bed above the rear axle is bent to hell. so not too sure how much of it is original. I think I posted some pics of it a while back in another thread, I will look for that.


62' GMC Fleetside 3/4 ton 235 4-speed.
Time makes fools of us all.
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197


62' GMC Fleetside 3/4 ton 235 4-speed.
Time makes fools of us all.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Not much to see there. Anyway, GMC did not go to leaf rear until 1963. I will say that I would not even go around the block from what I see. Find a donor and rebuild the rear suspension to original. Parts can be de-riveted and bolted to your frame. Trailing arm/Coil, etc. Maybe you have already fixed from 9 mo.'ago.
But I guess you only asked about an emblem. You got more than you paid for.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
lol yeah, haven't fixed the suspension issues as of yet. I have driven it a few times to the hardware store and whatnot. It drove alot better with 2-3 hundred lbs of wood in the bed. seems like it's basically riding on the springsin the rear.
I have been considering repairing the rear end and driving it til the motor blows up the doing the swap to power steering updated motor trans ect... but that costs alot of money and time I don't have right now


62' GMC Fleetside 3/4 ton 235 4-speed.
Time makes fools of us all.
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
Engine # 3764476
Date # F 6 1
Attachments
IMG0012A.jpg (4.9 KB, 33 downloads)
IMG0007A.jpg (6.62 KB, 32 downloads)


62' GMC Fleetside 3/4 ton 235 4-speed.
Time makes fools of us all.
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 197
head casting # 3835913
I thought that head only came on 1954-1955 235

does head fall under the "848" heads? if my theories are correct this head was added for better compression and did not come with this block or truck, would I be correct in thinking that?


62' GMC Fleetside 3/4 ton 235 4-speed.
Time makes fools of us all.
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
3835913 is found on Canadian 235 engines as well, as far back as 1954

3835913 is not quite as good as the 848 head, but it is the second runner up, better than the 3836850 and 3703570 heads
someone posted the exact displacements of these heads on the forum a while back
-s


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0