The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Wheelie, Hugh63c10, Hawkman, UtahYork), 85 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,482
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
Good Morning from Suburban Chicagoland!

I am new to Stovebolt and I am blown away by the sheer amount of information, knowledge, and experience on this forum and general site.

I've done a fair amount of browsing around but there's just so much to sift through; I might have missed what I'm looking for.

I am going to check out a rough 1948 3800 soon and was looking for a "buyers guide" or a list of items specific to that year and possibly model to be on the look out for. Each of the beauties showcased on this site have their own congenital flaws and I was just looking for a laundry list of inspection points.

I would appreciate any and all advice related to purchasing my first truck!

I thank you all in advance!

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
Welcome to the 'bolt. regardless of what you end up with I'm sure you will enjoy working on it.

You might want to make a post in the General Truck Talk forum, as there are a lot more folks there than here.

Good Luck


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! shake

Brake drums are non-existent for the 3800. Body parts interchange with the 1/2 & 3/4 tons.
Be sure to post your specific questions in the appropriate garage forum. We do have a special forum for the 1 tons.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Yes : most "Body parts interchange with the 1/2 & 3/4 tons"

But, there may be a few differences:
- bumpers and bumper brackets ?
- running board lengths ?

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 53
When you say "rough", I think of my 1950 3100 and how it had a fresh paint job over very rusted out front cab supports and corners. This caused the hood to be out of alignment and not able to close. I was not skilled enough to fix this and as a result it took me 28 years so far to get this truck done and driveable. I hope you are more skilled than I and will be able to get yours back on the road. But do check the cab corners front and rear at the bottoms and also the cab supports as these are critical for strength and alignment. This will be the year for me!!

Jerry

Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
Buying mechanical parts for a 3800 is a a bit more effort
Most online places don’t list 1 ton compatibility even if it’s the correct part they just don’t know so they can’t help you

With exception of those rear brake drums there is a way to get all the standard parts for your 3800, if you are having difficulty finding something just ask the forum smile

It will be fun, you should def get a 1 ton
-s

Joined: May 2016
Posts: 268
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: May 2016
Posts: 268
One thing to consider is the "completeness" of the project truck. Try to buy something that isn't missing too many parts. As finding and buying replacements of missing equipment can get pricey in a hurry! John


1949 gmc 1-ton
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 5
Thanks for the advice! I'll crosspost this over there.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Note to all: OP has started this topic in GTT. Continue to post your welcomes here but answer his questions in the GTT post. Thank you.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,418
J
Former Workshop Owner
Former Workshop Owner
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,418
Hello Dan,

Welcome to the "Bolt".

John


~ J Lucas
2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6
2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6
2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s)
2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0
1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
In the Gallery
My Flicker Photos!
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 49
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by daniel.toy1
Good Morning from Suburban Chicagoland!

I am new to Stovebolt and I am blown away by the sheer amount of information, knowledge, and experience on this forum and general site.

I've done a fair amount of browsing around but there's just so much to sift through; I might have missed what I'm looking for.

I am going to check out a rough 1948 3800 soon and was looking for a "buyers guide" or a list of items specific to that year and possibly model to be on the look out for. Each of the beauties showcased on this site have their own congenital flaws and I was just looking for a laundry list of inspection points.

I would appreciate any and all advice related to purchasing my first truck!

I thank you all in advance!


NADA says low retail is $11,200, Average $26,500, High $69,100. Something to start from.


Ask a question if you need a answer!
Resting up on Mon-Fri from Sat and Sun.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,061
Regarding you Huck Brakes, I just got through some work on mine. I replaced the rear wheel cylinders and one of the adjuster wheels. I also dismantled and cleaned out the front cylinders. When I originally got this truck, I had a miserable time getting the drums off, everything was frozen. I had to use a wheel puller to get them off. I have also come to the conclusion that the number of people that know anything about drum brakes is dwindling. lot of blank stares out there.

As far as inspecting, see if the engine spins, 6 or 12 volt, check for oil in the radiator water, condition of the wire harness, see if the heat riser is free, smell the gas to see if it has turned into shellac, condition of the tires, condition of the bed and look for the results from a visit by the good idea fairy.

Last edited by MikeE; 01/22/2021 1:44 PM.

1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0