Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,172 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 127 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 127 | I have a chance to get a ford 9 inch rear with 3.55 to 1, disc brakes and posi... what is the width I need to install said rear in my 51 AD? Is there anything else I should look at to make sure I am buying the right one?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." -D. Parker 1951 Chevy 3100 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Parking brakes? Ideally it would be about 62 inches wide across the wheel mounting surfaces.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 127 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 127 | so basically 62 inches from rotor to rotor?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." -D. Parker 1951 Chevy 3100 | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Where are you measuring on the rotor? Usually the surface the pads ride on are offset from the surface the wheels mount on.
Its that surface the wheel mounts on that determines where the wheels and tires will sit relative to the inner and outer fender surfaces.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 | Wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. As Steve points out, setting up the parking brakes so they function on some diffs is critical to get the rear pads properly adjusted and the brakes fully bled. I ran into this on an Aussy Borg Warner posi/disc. You had to actuate the emergency brake cables to spin an internal ratchet in the caliper body that adjusted the pads. The cables were pricey and the rear discs wouldn't bleed or function properly without the emergency brake system operational. You might want to check a FoMoCo manual to determine what hoops you have to jump through to get the rear discs operational. Hope this helps.
Dave | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 127 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 127 | I will look into it, all of this speculation stems from the 327 camaro engine I just bought... it's a builder... but it's sweet
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." -D. Parker 1951 Chevy 3100 | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | mike1951
I don't know what your budget is, but look into the IMCA modified ford 9 inch. It is a really sweet setup. You can spec the width, axle splines, and choose gear ratios and posi. Best of all you are starting with a new housing, axles, and bearings. Another option for a park brake is to use a pinion mounted brake.
John | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | A pinion mounted E brake is a good alternative however remember if jacked up they are not functional. Be safe. I did some research on the Ford 9" and Ford 8" rears and what I saw was nothing that would fit the AD without cutting axles. Currie Enterprises offers several options (link below) quite pricey but dependable stuff. http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/all9inford.aspx
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Jan 1970 Posts: 365 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 1970 Posts: 365 | I used a ford 9" from a 78 Lincoln Mark V. It fit perfectly with no width modifications in my '51 Chevy half ton.
I am not satisfied with the emergency brake mechanism on the stock ford calipers. In order for the brakes to keep adjustment so the parking brake will work, the brake caliper pistons have to rotate. I disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the calipers with new rubber components. The pistons did not want to rotate freely. Now that I have run my truck for over a year, I might see if I can get the pistons to rotate now. Another alternative might be to purchase rebuilt calipers. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | I forgot to mention the IMCA 9 inches come with disc brakes... you need to get the gm callipers, and you can spec out any lug pattern. I spec'd mine to use 12 inch 1.25 thick rotors, and 6 on 5.5 lug pattern. You can get them almost any length. I spec'd mine to be 61 inches wheel mount to wheel mount to center 7 inch rims under my 1940 1/2 ton fenders.
I mentioned the pinion brake in my earlier post to provide an option to the parking brake callipers. It provides a completely seperate system for stopping a vehicle. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | Love pinion brakes. They function exactly the same as the driveshaft drum brake that was on all big trucks for 60 years or so and on open driveshaft cars like chryslers. Doesn't have all the cables, arms, equalizers, garbage inside the rear drum or rotor, and best of all they have their braking power multiplied by the rear end ratio. A 100#'s applied at the pinion with a 3.50 rear is 350#'s at the tires.
Evan
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | If you will be running a 327 the 9" Ford is a little "over kill". Some of the early Chevys (nova, camaro,firebird, etc.) will work for those horses and most will be a fit width wise for your AD.
~Jim
| | |
| |