The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Otto Skorzeny, Wally / Montana, Jeff Ogden, Peggy M, amtrakjoe, moparguy, mvigo, walter74), 83 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,702
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 4
J
Moderated
Moderated
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 4
Can someone tell me what the width from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface is on a 1940 1/2 ton Chevy pickup? Mine was on a S10 frame when I bought it and I’m swapping it back to an original frame with MII front suspension and four link rear suspension. I’m looking for the correct width so I can find either a 9” or 8.8 Ford rear diff.


JWUpton
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
I've never seen an "original" 1940 frame with independent suspension and a 4-link rear. Got any factory part numbers for that setup? Wouldn't if be more appropriate to match the rear track width to the M-II?
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 4
J
Moderated
Moderated
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 4
I guess I didn’t make myself clear, I’m adding the MII(already tacked in place), I’m going to add four link rear suspension (parts ordered from Fat Man) I’m looking for the width of the stock ‘40 Chevy pickup rear diff from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface so I can find a donor rear end. When I bought the truck, the owner had attempted to swap it onto a S10 frame and I’m putting it back on an original frame with the above described mods. I’m working on the assumption that I need 60” from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface but would appreciate someone verifying that for me.


JWUpton
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 4
J
Moderated
Moderated
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 4
I guess I didn’t make myself clear, I’m adding the MII(already tacked in place), I’m going to add four link rear suspension (parts ordered from Fat Man) I’m looking for the width of the stock ‘40 Chevy pickup rear diff from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface so I can find a donor rear end. When I bought the truck, the owner had attempted to swap it onto a S10 frame and I’m putting it back on an original frame with the above described mods. I’m working on the assumption that I need 60” from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface but would appreciate someone verifying that for me.


JWUpton
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 230
Jim,

I have a 1940 Pu frame I’m working on. PM me if you want measurements...

Mike


1940 Chevy 1/2 Ton presently... Almost done
1940 Chevy Business Coupe... In pieces
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 4
J
Moderated
Moderated
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 4
I guess I didn’t make myself clear, I’m adding the MII(already tacked in place), I’m going to add four link rear suspension (parts ordered from Fat Man) I’m looking for the width of the stock ‘40 Chevy pickup rear diff from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface so I can find a donor rear end. When I bought the truck, the owner had attempted to swap it onto a S10 frame and I’m putting it back on an original frame with the above described mods. I’m working on the assumption that I need 60” from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface but would appreciate someone verifying that for me.


JWUpton
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 36
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 36
i dont know off hand what the width is but i can tell you that a mid 70s camaro rear axle is the right width for what you are doing. i do have one at home i can measure and let you know.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0