The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (PAUL Berardi, Gray_Ghost, JW51, moparguy), 123 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,111
Posts1,056,244
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 36
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 36
I remember a discussion on 8 lug disc brake conversion from drum brakes. Anybody remember what parts were used, or what donor vehicle. It seems to me there was a trick or something you had to watch out for. Thanks for your help,
Ranger


Because of God's Grace,
Ranger Ric
Micah 6:8
Remember if you are driving one of those other things.....stop it!
visit our homepage for pictures of my trucks and our dogs. http://www.rainydaysmastiffs.com
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
I'm making that change also on my 55 truck however will change to 6 lug first...Lot's of kits available for that.

Keith

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 128
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 128
Hi Ranger,

If you search the archives for 3/4 ton disc brake conversion you will find a couple of long threads on the subject. The parts used required light machining of the spindle to match the wheel bearings, and a large bracket to mount the caliper. I've taken a different route in adapting discs to my 59 3/4 ton. First I wanted a bolt on application requiring no machine work to the existing truck, second I wanted to use easily available parts (NAPA or equivalent), and third I wanted a caliper assy with it's own bracket which will make adapting to the spindle much easier. The rotor chosen is 72 or 73? (sorry can't remember exact year off the top of my head, I do have the part #'s) Ford F250 3/4 ton used with dual piston calipers. I chose this rotor because it is thinner than most 3/4 ton rotors and opened up my choices for calipers. It also uses bearings with an ID slightly bigger than the spindle. An evening on the lathe and I've made adaptor sleeves and the rotor is mounted on the stock spindle. The caliper used is a 96 Ford F150 dual piston. It comes complete with a bracket which locates the caliper and pads. To adapt to the spindle it will require basically a flat plate which will bolt to the spindle using the old backing plate mounting points, and the calpier will then bolt to this plate. This is the stage where I am right now. Once I complete the adaptor plate I will take some pictures and post in detail all the steps and part #'s used. This will require a 16" or larger wheel and I have no idea on clearance with stock wheels. I doubt the caliper will clear a stock wheel. I'm using new GM 3/4 ton 16x6" five spoke steel wheels, they will clear the stock tie rod ends by about 1/2". For the correct lugnut to adapt this wheel to the rotor go to www.ezAccessory.com. Life is busy right now so it might be a couple of months before I post any finalized info. Be patient I'l post it eventually.

John


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0