The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, greenie-reddy, Hush, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 175 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,227
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1386679 12/01/2020 9:17 AM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 134
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 134
Will a 53 bed fit on my 54 3100 frame? Just can’t seem to find the answer. HELP. Please

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Nope- - - -the 54 and early 55 frames have a flattened area under the bed instead of the high arch over the rear axle that the 53 and earlier trucks have, so the shape of the bed and the mounting brackets are different.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
Will it fit---No. Can you do it---yes, IF you have the tools and skill. Have done several (all 55 1st series) for ones that like the shallow bed with angled top rails. Usually done in conjunction with the 47-53 front sheet metal which gives an earlier look with a one piece curved windshield cab. If you have access to a drive on lift with an overhead chain hoist then it is not a difficult swap. Just suspend the bed in the correct position, where running board to bed bottom filler panel fits, and make custom blocks between the bed cross members and frame rails. This has to be done EVERY TIME on an S10 or other chassis swap. Fortunately the swap kit suppliers have dumbed it down to where they are just drill and bolt installs.


Evan
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 281
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 281
This is an often asked question. I have always thought the early bed will fit on the 54 frame with only re-drilling the front bed to frame holes and using the regular 53 wood mounting blocks. Although we built these beds for many years, we never actually installed this swap to the 54 frame. Measurements would indicate the swap is an easy one. What am I missing?

Mark

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 134
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 134
Got the lift got the hoist and time. We’re gonna see about the skill. I like the earlier beds just a preference. The truck will have 53 front clip and bed , just cab and frame are 54. Thanks for all the help . Pictures will come.

Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 73
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 73
The truck I picked up this summer is a 54’. But the box is a 53’ style. I’m about to start working on this truck soon. I’ve wondered ever since I got it if this was original or not. From the paint color under the topcoat color it’s the same between the cab and bed. So if it was changed it was done a long time ago. In looking at the door tag my 54’ does appear to be an early 54’. I know Chevy would use carryover over parts on other models and wondered if my truck had received a 53’ bed from the beginning. I’m sure once I get in to the truck more maybe I’ll be able to tell better.

Adam


Adam
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
Tim has shown the reason I suggested custom mount blocks---to keep the bed to cab position of the bed the same. Picture is of an S10 frame swap with the tape line that puts the bed in the correct position in relation to the back window. Ones mounted lower look funny to me. Cypress mount blocks last forever.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/G87cRmBw/S10-032.jpg[/img]


Evan
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 134
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 134
I’m working with the techs at Mar K to put an early bed on a 54-55 AD frame they already have a kit to put a 54-55 on an early frame. They said that they have never had a request for early bed on a 54-55 frame.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
I have met with the owner and I assure you they will help you all they can.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 134
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 134
They did and it’s Great. Only Co to use for all your bed needs.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
54 with older bed and front clip. You can tell by the large radius of windshield corner that it's one piece. Couldn't find a full frontal picture. We have done a lot of these conversions through the years. The chrome plated running board to bed filler panel is NOT my idea.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/S2L6zW2C/truck-roll-pans-clips-003.jpg[/img]


Evan

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0