The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (CuzzFuzz), 228 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,181
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 226
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 226
I’ve done the search, but haven’t found this issue discussed in depth. I rebuilt my SM 420 in my 57 Chevy 1/2 ton using a Novak kit. My factory manual says to adjust the reverse idler eccentric bolt so there’s no interference with the other gears or the rear of the case. Then I tried to torque the castle nut to 40 ftlbs while holding the slotted bolt in place with a screwdriver. I broke the eccentric bolt, but found another so I can try again.

My question is: should there be a lock washer or something else I’m missing in the eccentric assembly so that I can torque it down? I’m thinking the nut has to be tight so the eccentric won’t go out of adjustment. I do not have the wire lock in place while I’m torquing the nut.

Thank you for any suggestions,

Larry

Last edited by LAJones48; 12/11/2020 8:33 PM. Reason: Error
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
I have a sm 420 sitting on the floor of the garage if you need me to take a picture .there is a metal clip on the nut if I am thinking of the same one


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 226
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 226
Thank you. I just corrected my original post. I do have that clip, but I’m having trouble getting the eccentric bolt to hold still so I can torque the nut to spec.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
I looked at the two I have in the garage and the older one has a nut on both sides and the newer one has around ,with a flat side on the inside .maybe special tool needed
Attachments
image.jpg (163.04 KB, 83 downloads)


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
Here is the newer one

Last edited by KEVINSKI; 12/11/2020 9:12 PM. Reason: Add photo

1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
Maybe now here it is
Attachments
image.jpg (247.36 KB, 78 downloads)


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 226
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 226
Okay. I see the difference now. Mine is actually like the second one with the flat side on the inside

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,310
Okay got me motivated to get the old one apart it had some moisture as you can see here is the piece apart.
Attachments
image.jpg (284.14 KB, 63 downloads)


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 226
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 226
I see that the old ones have a spacer. Mine is the newer type with no spacer.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0