Can someone tell me what the original color of a 51 Suburban/Carryall steering wheel was? Was it black or was it the "darker brown/red" color of the moldings and seat frames?
If not mistaken, the steering column was the darker brown color, right?
How about the horn button, both the background color and the color of the letters and lines of "Chevrolet"?
I have an original Steering wheel with over 90% of the original paint on it. I also have a steering wheel which I restored and painted with Rustoleum Dark Bronze 7713. It is neither dark, nor bronze in color in my opinion, but it is a spot on match for my original paint steering wheel. The steering mast and the steering wheel were this same color originally. I have a pretty clean original horn button which is a brown of a different hue of the dash, and the steering wheel. It may have suffered from exposure which may have altered its color. I don't know. The CHEVROLET letters were chrome.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Thanks so much for your replies. I will check out the Rustoleum Dark Bronze color. I knew that the Suburban/Carryall uniquely used Pecan Brown and Wicker Brown on the interior, but the chart doesn't mention the steering wheel and mast--so your replies are very helpful. I have seen reproduction horn buttons sold in both color and chrome versions--so maybe there is something to the illustration picture and to 52Carl's original button. The button in my 51 Suburban was definitely painted, like Carl's, but it is also definitely faded and discolored from age.
The chart seems to point out something that I didn't previously realize--it appears that during the years 1947-49, the standard Suburban exterior colors were Fathom Green and Channel Green (upper and lower)--were all Suburbans in those years painted those colors exclusively? Then in 1950 or 51 it appears that other color combinations were possible--is that correct?