My 1949 GMC FF 350 COE eats up flywheel ring gears. Engine is a 1955 248 GMC repower.
By the looks of Jim Carters catalogue a new ring gear is 40$ No problem. (I converted from 6 volt to 12 with an alternator. Starters rebuilt with new drive.) What I need help is which ring gear count to get as Carter offers 139,153 and 168. All seem to use the same starter drive. Presently the truck has a 139 count (maybe original?,been flipped. Am I using the wrong tooth count causing the failure? (less teeth means more room for the bendix pinion gear to engage? Aye yi yi.
The extent of my knowledge is..... The starter drives are NOT the same. The experts will be along shortly to guide you towards success. Good luck.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)