Alright folks, my question of the day is. Is the width of the boxes on the 1940 Chevrolet trucks the same as the 1950's Chevrolet trucks?? My 53 chevy is 50-1/2 inches wide. The reason i'm asking is I found a Barden bumper on here. It originally came off a 1940 Chevy truck. The box looks the same. I know the rear fenders are different a bit. I have a welder and all the tools to make it fit. At least I would have a great start in having a Barden to use.
Hy Elmo, according to the Truck Data books that cover the respective years, the 1940 box is 48 1/2" wide inside, the 1950 box is 50" inside, hope that helps.
The bed widths are different as 3B noted. But the width between fenders where the bumper bolts to the fenders would be a bit more critical. But it wouldn't be that hard to modify one from an earlier to fit on an AD.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
This is a situation that I'm sure we can all agree. The Barden looks wonderful. I can reflect on many of the Folks here in Central FL they made everything look good when it came to their Chevy's. There were so many of them here because there was not a Ford dealer locally until 1957. It took more than several years for Kissimmee to trust Ford. Doc.
Last edited by Justhorsenround; 11/18/20201:16 PM. Reason: Removed ethnic slur
Currently making 1954 3100 better than new and Genetics
For all the pictures. I have a better understanding on how the Barden Bumper is is Fabricated. It looks pretty simple. I'm going to order up some 3/16 Diamond plate and some flat stock steel to fabricate my own bumper.
Warning! Ethnic slurs along with any inappropriate postings will be deleted. Continued attempts will result in a Stovebolt time out.
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Holy over load on the pictures for the construction of the Barden Bumper!! And that video is fantastic. Now I have a complete understanding on how it goes together. Thanks DADS50 People like you is what makes this forum so great!!
Seems I remember the Dealerships would weld their name on the bumper as well. When I lived in OKC as a kid almost every truck had a Barden style bumper, you could tell where it was from by the name welded on it.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
I wonder why the 1/2 ton would have a wider frame than a 3/4 ton? Huh!
Stronger. Ever noticed how the rear section of any big trucks (tractor, 10 wheeler, tri axle dump ect..) have thick rails that are usually fairly close together? That’s because they can be made to have less flex and carry a higher load weight than a thinner frame spaced out farther. Also makes room for inboard wheels in dually application