Is there a way to check that the gages are functioning properly before I purchase materials and put the time in to do a cosmetic refurbishment? I looked in the tech tips and did do a search in the forum but didn't see anything that stood out BTW I am clueless when it comes to electrical but Im hoping these are as simple as they appear.
Did they work before you removed them? Or were they purchased as replacements?
Due the the two colors of needles I suspect they are not from same truck.
The speedo looks suspect due to where the needle is setting just sitting there. You could hook up a drill to the speedo cable in reverse see if you get movement
The gas gauge looks to have a off color to it. It may have already been replaced.. hook up a 30 ohm resister to it and see if it goes to F. You could also use a sender if you have a good one. Just remember to ground the gauge for the test and apply the correct voltage 6 or 12 depending on what you have.
Ill pass on advising amp gauge. I do not use one so I cannot advise. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one.
Oil gauge are typically bullet proof.
Temp gauge are usually good as long as tube is not damaged, replacements are available from most of the usual suppliers.
A pan of hot/boiling water will check the temp gauge- - - -just put the sensing bulb in the water and use a hot plate or a camp stove to heat it up. The oil pressure gauge can be tested with an air hose and a pressure regulator- - - -PSI is the same no matter where it comes from. A battery and a headlight bulb or two will check the ammeter for +/- deflection, with at least a little bit of accuracy if you check the resistance of the bulb filament with an ohmmeter and do a little math. The only gauge that might be a little tricky to test will be the gas gauge. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Thanks guys, I will take you recommendations and give them a try. Bartamos my truck is completely stripped right now with no motor installed. Im just trying to get somethings done while installing the last couple panels in the cab.
DADS50 when I bought the truck it wasn't running so I can't tell you if they were working. In retrospect I should have slapped a battery in and tested everything but was to impatient and started tearing it down. They'd did both come out of the dash however.
With a red needle and white needles they may not be original to the truck. But certainly not an issue if they work.
Your right, its a good idea to test them before investing in parts to refurbish.
Watched your video, awesome tribute to your dad. Your son will be so fortunate to have that along with the truck someday. Quick question, what is that matte blue that you laid down, love how it looks.
Quick question, what is that matte blue that you laid down, love how it looks.
Thanks The paint is something the guy I got my Dads truck back from had used and had some left over. I liked it and decided to roll with it,....temporally.....10 years ago
It has matte clear over it. Not to popular on this forum ... but I like it.