The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (klhansen), 158 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1383418 11/04/2020 12:57 PM
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
Ok...I'm getting tired of being blinded by the headlights of the car behind me. On the hunt for a repop that looks like the original 49 truck mirror but has the Day/Night mirror. Show me what you have.


"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
Most of the venders have them or you could try looking for a used one at the junk yard ,most look to be very similar. The one I have is like yours no night but I have compared it from a old toyota mirror and it is the same except for the attachment to the bracket.


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
Originally Posted by KEVINSKI
Most of the venders have them or you could try looking for a used one at the junk yard ,most look to be very similar. The one I have is like yours no night but I have compared it from a old toyota mirror and it is the same except for the attachment to the bracket.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to measure mine and try and find one that fits those dimension. Not much driving time left before old man winter hits so it's not something I'll need right away. Maybe the ole boy in Red will bring it.


"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
I spotted a new one in the “Chevs of the 40’s” catalog, Chevs of the 40’sItem #41-50. A bit pricy at just over 50 dollars plus shipping.

Edit: Just found one at Classic Parts. Rearview Mirror Better price.

Last edited by Phak1; 11/06/2020 2:43 AM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,309
eBay one is for truck other for car but I think they will fit
Attachments


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
Thanks for the input guys. I saw those. My mirror measures roughly 2 5/8" X 6 3/4". I am unable to find that size mirror that is a Day/Night mirror. Looks like I my have to get the one that is 2 3/4" X 6 3/4". That's the closest I can find.


"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 326
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 326
If it is not too much bother, you can just tilt it up manually when you are driving at night and leave it there until the next day driving. I have had to do that before. Plus you get to keep your present mirror.
Lee.


1956 Chevy 3200, 235 w/3 speed
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
Well....that's a thought. I kinda like to see what's going on behind me. I ordered one from Classic Parts.


"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,193
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,193
You could install a dark film on the rear glass. Filters the bright headlights (and the sun too) without having to touch the mirror.


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
I got my new day/night rear view mirror in today. As of right now I don't like the long narrow look. Maybe it will grow on me.
Attachments
20201112_144953.jpg (51.65 KB, 93 downloads)
20201112_145720.jpg (67.18 KB, 93 downloads)
20201112_145736.jpg (50.99 KB, 87 downloads)


"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
The factory mirror is inadequate in my view.

Simply just doesn't cut the mustard...to small

My 50 had a clip in larger view mirror, popular and practical back when these trucks were daily drivers. Its been in the truck over 40 years that I know of

Ive seen them in swap meets some have a fold down shield

Most problems at night I encounter is from the side view mirror when there is a lifted truck behind me

Check swap meets when they open back up
Attachments

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 464
Originally Posted by DADS50
The factory mirror is inadequate in my view.

Simply just doesn't cut the mustard...to small

My 50 had a clip in larger view mirror, popular and practical back when these trucks were daily drivers. Its been in the truck over 40 years that I know of

Ive seen them in swap meets some have a fold down shield

Most problems at night I encounter is from the side view mirror when there is a lifted truck behind me

Check swap meets when they open back up
I kinda like the view out your windshield.


"If you can't fix it with duct tape it's an electrical problem"
1949 5 Window 3100
Follow in the DITY
Veteran of the USAF
My Website

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0