I was working on my hood today, and discovered that sometime before 1959, the driver's side of the hood was either replaced or possibly just repaired and repainted. I knew that the left front fender had been replaced while it was still owned by the Alaska Road Commission, as it was still painted Omaha Orange under the light blue. The paint on the right panel of the hood was painted after the hood center trim was installed (the dark primer is visible under the trim piece area), but the paint on the left panel extends all the way to the center. The panels are still riveted together with tubular rivets, so they either just repainted the left panel or replaced it and re-riveted it together. They did a good job either way, but the subsequent owners didn't do the hood any favors, as it is getting some serious dent removal work done on it.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Glad you're still picking away at it. Mines on an indefinite back burner now that we bought the new store and renovation and new building are in progress.
Hey, Eugene. Been kind of slow in the last week or so, but still have some things I can work on over the winter. Blasting and painting is over for the season. Hopefully your store work goes well and you can get back to your Stovebolt.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I know what you mean Robert, I have found some of that too. The hood repair was apparently done long enough ago that they actually cared about the results. I got a fender that had some lead inboard of the headlight opening that was filling a slight defect there. When I found it, I thought WHY?? I was able to straighten it with hammer and dolly in just a few minutes work. At least it wasn't bondo gooped in there.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.