The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, klhansen, MickeyP, 1 invisible), 125 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,386
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 6
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 6
Hi! I’m trying to find parts for this. Not much luck, so far. The outer seal is combined with a flange. It must’ve been doing it’s job because the bearings are nearly dry. However, I haven’t checked diff level. The inner seal is stationary and has a felt lip on the perimeter. Both seals are weird in my world. The outer seal has National 6234 on it. I’m used to too much gear oil getting on the brakes not the other way around.
Jim Carter, etc is telling me to just reuse old seals. Against principles!
Thanks, Don
Attachments

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Monsonmotors, welcome, by looking at the orientation of the seal lip on the seal in your picture, I would say it is designed to keep differential oil out of the hub. Most likely the hub bearings were supposed to be lubricated with grease when they were assembled and the seals kept the oil from washing the grease out and letting the oil contaminate the brake shoes. I know it goes against what we were taught, but if the seal lip is in good condition you could reuse it. I will spend a bit of time searching for new seals for you.

Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 6
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2020
Posts: 6
Thank you so much for making me think I’m not crazy. These rear bearings are going to be packed like front bearings, for sure. On the plus side, the drum and shoes are dry.
The truck itself is a locally historic tow truck. Amazing it survived.


Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0