The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Eileen, klhansen, Uncles51, DBJ71SuperCustom, dt235sd, fonz8261), 99 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,295
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1377 06/12/2004 11:23 AM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 18
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 18
I just put a new crate engine in my 70 chevy truck. It's a Gm 350 HO with a Holley 770 carb. I'm getting gas in my oil. Both GM and Holley say the carb is not too big. So it isn't the carb pushing too much gas into the engine. The guy from Holley asked if I had a vented gas cap. I did put a new locking gas cap on and I'm pretty sure it's not vented. He said all 70's had vented gas caps to prevent too much pressure building up in the tank. he also said that the pressure builds up and when the engine is shut off it continues to push fuel into the engine which ends up bleeding over? the rings and into the oil. Does this make sense?

#1378 06/12/2004 1:47 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
Scott: yes!! popcorn The Truth is Out There (770 Whoa!! oh I forgot I got a 750 sitting on mine)

#1379 06/12/2004 2:54 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
I guess I am dumb but if the fuel pump removes fuel from the tank wouldn't that cause a vacuum situation and not a pressure situation? How could a vacuum push fuel into the engine? Enlighten me please.

I could see how expanding fuel on a hot day might push, but he mentions pressure building up with the engine running.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
#1380 06/12/2004 3:27 PM
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 379
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 379
Time for a compression test! grin

#1381 06/12/2004 3:47 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
I had a '75 Hornet which got gasoline into the oil through a bad fuel pump. I went to check the oil one day. It was a quart over full and really smelled of gasoline.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
#1382 06/12/2004 4:57 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
I once had a defective stock fuel pump. It was leaking gas directly into the bottom of the engine, where it sat at the side of the block.Do you have an electric pump or a stock one?

#1383 06/12/2004 8:15 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
The non-vented caps are used with a charcoal vapor canister on the newer-model vehicles. The canister stores the vapors while the engine is stopped, then vents then through the intake system on startup. Older fuel systems either have a tank vent, or a vented cap, or both. I'd check for a leaky fuel pump, putting raw gas into the crankcase.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
#1384 06/13/2004 3:33 AM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 18
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 18
The consensus seems to be that the fuel pump is the problem, so I'm putting a new holley fuel pump on in the morning.

Thanks


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0