This morning was the fourth consecutive day of frost, but the warmup begins today. Should be good weather for the big event. I’m looking forward to seeing the crew. Have a safe trip everyone.
Man ! here I am stuck north of the border contemplating crashing the gate doing 98 , but alas it might offend some border guards. so I'm not able to attend the Tri sate extravaganza this year .
Fortunately I started a 3 month repair project in early spring that I haven't yet completed which limits my temptations .
Hopefully the truck will be ready for the 2021 Homecoming if covid permits . I hope to have the truck put back together enough to take it for a test drive this weekend to see how the new motor performs .
There will be an additional friend riding along with me since he is addicted to old stuff and has his own Ford Museum. ( Sorry about using those four letter words on here) He is a fine old friend of mine that I have known for over 20 years so when you meet Sam Nixon, be sure to let him know that you heard he has a nice 68 Camaro convertible making his Ford museum really nice! That will get him going (and it is a true statement).I also have a friend coming down from Philadelphia to enjoy the show. They both will be camping with us. The Northern resident is Ray Reeves. another good old friend. looking forward to the long weekend !
John, you will be missed! Wish you could make it but understand.. Good luck with your truck. Hope to see you at homecoming in the spring. Jim, thanks for the update. Look forward to meeting your buds.
~ Billy Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division 1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures 1959 GMC 860 | Pictures 1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
Loaded and ready. Departing oh dark thirty from Stovebolt HQ. Me, the dog, Charlie and the Quigley
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
yup! Already here waiting on the late comers! The Stovebolt flag is already on display on the GMC one ton! Does this qualify me to be in the one ton club?
Don
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Artie Guy is on site already as well and guarding our campsite. I hope to be on there by around 9 AM if all goes well. See you all then
~ Billy Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division 1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures 1959 GMC 860 | Pictures 1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
~ Billy Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division 1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures 1959 GMC 860 | Pictures 1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
Just got a call from downunder, Tim said to say g-day to all the his ODSS Mates!!!! And have a good time at Winchester!!
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
It is with a heavy heart, and with severely bruised self-worth that I must declare that I will not be making the journey to this Grand Event. I have had fits with putting my rebuilt 235 back into Sweet Pea ('50 3100). I got everything buttoned up and drove it to break in the new rings. There was an odd noise in the front of the engine. The harmonic balancer was wobbling horribly. I removed it and the noise went away. I found a guy who had a nice eon out of a '57. The only difference was that the pulley was 3/8' larger in diameter. It turned out to be a significant problem with the aftermarket front mount oil shield. I removed the oil shield and cut out enough metal to clear the balancer pulley and drove it. It began to make a tinny metallic sound coming from the timing cover area. Upon further inspection, the seal was all jacked up. I pulled the balancer and the seal came off with the it, and it was all torn up and the coil spring was missing. I looked at the balancer and saw that there was a significant chunk of metal messing from it at the keyway area. When I pressed it on with a balancer installation tool, I missed the key/keyway alignment by half the width of the key. This caused the chunk of metal to break off inside of the timing cover, but allowed the keyway to finally line up with the key. all during this fiasco, the HB installer was not all that difficult to turn. So then, with a chunk of metal and a spring inside of the timing cover, I had to remove the cover. Guess what? I had to also remove the oil pan to get to those two timing cover bolts inside of it. The timing cover got mangled up too. To add to my long string of misfortune, I bumped the radiator while rassling the heavy balancer into place. Now I need to take it to the radiator shop and hope that they can fix it. With all of this happening, I still profess to be really good at taking stuff apart... Drink some for me boys, I know that I really need to right about now.
Last edited by 52Carl; 09/24/20201:36 AM.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
52Carl, Wow, when it rains it pours. Sorry to here about your woes. Catastrophes always seem to happen when we are short on time. Now that I am retired, I try to take that out of the equation but sometimes it just can’t be avoided. Don’t beat yourself up too much, we have all been there, kicking ourselves in the a$$, wondering why the h€ll we did what we did. Time to sit back have a few, you’ll feel better about it in the morning.
Last edited by Phak1; 09/24/20202:48 AM.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Carl, drive your DD, you won’t be the only one.ðŸ›
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
Seems like a blink of an eye and another Winchester tri-state truck show is over. Also means a good time was had by all. We missed all the folks that couldn’t make it, especially our president, Cosmo. The show was a huge success and almost a record-breaking number of trucks attending. Good to see a lot of our old friends and meet some new folks to this year. Let’s hope and pray all this virus stuff goes away soon and we can get together more often. I hope we are able to have a normal tri State in 2021 with everybody there. I did not take many pictures so hopefully Joe and John got some good shots to share.
Last edited by Bill Marlow; 09/27/20208:23 PM.
~ Billy Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division 1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures 1959 GMC 860 | Pictures 1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
It was a great show and my friends that were new to the show enjoyed every minute of it! We all made it back home Saturday (with luck on our side) I started the Camper this morning to put it back in my barn and I started hearing some strange noises under the hood. I found the new Serpentine belt shreded down to half of the original size because the smog pump pulley was seized up and the belt was just sliding through the grooves and getting slowly grinded away. We were lucky to make it back home. The new belt gave us all it had and stayed in place. Driving 33 year old campers does involve luck sometimes. Hopefully , I will find a way to bypass the smog pump pulley and use a smaller belt. Thank you Pat for making the nice Cooley custom beer holders ! Thank you Don for the Stickers ! As always, it was great to get together with all of you fellows ! I look forward to our next gathering !
Hopefully, I won't be brought up on any Charges due to my Crazy old friend Sam. He lets it all hang out and just goes for a Grand time with some heavily mixed cocktails and he is far too old now to give a darn about first impressions ! LOL. Just stating the obvious !
Just got settled into a hotel west of Indy. Had a great time and ready for a few cold ones now to put me to sleep!
Don
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Billy...Was just looking at the pictures of the show, some nice trucks. The picture of the Kenworth from "Movin' On" really took me back, I actually got to ride in that truck as a kid. My Dad worked at a truck stop in OK City when the truck came through town, he talked with the crew and He, my brother and I got to go for a ride. Still remember the smile on Dads face. Thanks for the memory.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Made it home a few hours ago. Cooked pasta for the wife when she got home. OD said it was a 1,943 mile round trip. Other than exceeding the speed limit just to keep up with the big wheels. Traffic jams, rain, and road construction, the ride home was not too bad. Oh, and a detour thru old town Wheeling WV. Was also interesting.
Thanks Pat for the cooler holder, I just showed it to the wife and now she will be looking into learning how to make those!
Great time!!! Don
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
A few of my shots... The lunch excursion .. the flock of AD's at the gas pump .. the line up ... camp stovebolt ... Mike Roache can explain the last one.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
My Dad and I had a great time with the ODSS Crew at our first Winchester show! Great group to relax and hang out with. Thank you Don for the sticker, and Pat for the awesome koozie!
Nothing to live down, Mike. Happens to all of us. It was just your turn. I included the picture because it was impressive. As was how fast you had had the spare on -- you were tightening lug nuts by the time I had turned around at Chaptico park and got to the scene.
~ John
A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.
1949 Chevrolet 3804 In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum 1973 IH 1310 Dump 1963 Kaiser M38A1 2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie" 2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Craig, I remember the show from when I was younger but I don't remember having the opportunity to watch it much. Must not have been on my Dads favorites list and generally, you watched what Dad watched back then! We gad a fun day when we ran the trucks out for BBQ on Friday. I was a little nervous with old blue but overall it did good there and back. Maybe by next year I will have it a little bit more dependable and comfortable to drive.
Don, thank you for the sticker and for the extra cold ones for Saturday night! Pat, yes, the koozies were a hit. Thanks! Don definitely gets the long distance award traveling over 1900 miles round trip. Robert, it was great to see you again and to chat.
Mike, I agree with John. Blowing the tire was not nearly as spectacular as how you overcame the situation. Slapped on a spare, returned to Pat's shop and replace all 4, get back on the road and still be in Winchester by what, 1pm? You done good brother. I could go on and on with the highlights and mentioning folks in camp that it was good to see again but the point is, we had fun. Even though I still have lots of post trip stuff to do, I am already looking forward to next year! Oh, yea, one thing that should be brought up. How about George, "Napco Man" VanOrden! You never know what he will show up with to Winchester. This year, one day he arrived in a beautiful International firetruck with 8800 original miles and the next day a flawless, all original, super clean and straight Black '55 Chevy. What a treat to see that car! Thank George. Always great to see you no matter what you drive up in! One more. It sure was great to have J Crosby in camp this year.
Billy
Last edited by Bill Marlow; 09/30/202010:25 AM.
~ Billy Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division 1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures 1959 GMC 860 | Pictures 1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
It’s always great to see my old brothers and meet new ones as well. Thanks to the normal cast and crew for the incredible ODSS camp setup. Billy is always prepared for any event; It’s always great seeing my Marine and ODSS brother John M.; too many other of my favorite people to name them all. Special shout out to the guy who saved my weekend: Pat jumped in his 72 truck and hauled my junk to ODSS HQ, then hauled it to Frogs Garage for future repairs. Thanks also to Jeremiah for the diagnosis and offer to help.
I missed seeing Grigg when he was there and I would be remiss if I didn’t mention our beloved President “The Cosmopolitan”.
I want to thank Billy for having HQ set up and ready to operate all weekend. Also the food he provided and the gas cap that just happened to appear from now where.
On a side note I finished unpacking the truck yesterday and could not find a couple green lawn chairs. No big loss, I got them real cheap at an auction.
Don
1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck "The Flag Pole" In the Stovebolt Gallery 1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Thanks Don. I'm not positive but I think they were picked up by Joe. For what its worth, I have an extra blue folding chair from 2019 in the MH I forgot to bring out to see if the owner claimed it. I have a fold out table and a blue sweat shirt from 2019 too! Its a wonder I don't leave half my junk there. Then again, I am usually the last to leave so.....I think Artie Pat and Mary won that title this year.
~ Billy Old Dominion Stovebolt Society: Exotic Animal Division 1946 Chevrolet Cab Over Engine | In the Gallery | Video | More pictures 1959 GMC 860 | Pictures 1950 Chevrolet 3800 | Pictures I've got a trailer and I'm not afraid to use it!
Sorry to jump in late. I had a great time as well. I took a lot of photos and need to put them on a public server for viewing.
Thanks to Billy as always for the great food, shade, and coffee Friday morning. Freiya (sp) thanks for bringing John to the show. He was well behaved this year but didn't smell as good as you.