Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,454 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2019 Posts: 464 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2019 Posts: 464 | I have a 49 pickup with the gas tank still in the cab. I just started smelling gas inside the cab and can't figure out where it's coming from. I have checked all the rubber fitting and hard fittings and everything is dry as a bone. I know the last time I filled up the gas started to spit out a little from the filler neck so maybe it's to full and up in the neck of the filler tube. Just don't know. Anyone ever have this issue of smelling gas in the cab? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 | Everyone who’s ever owned/driven a Chevy/GMC pickup with the original gas tank.ðŸ›
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,195 Insomniac | | Insomniac Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,195 | Everyone who’s ever owned/driven a Chevy/GMC pickup with the original gas tank.🛠LOL  It's never a good idea to overfill the tank on any vehicle. The old idea of squeezing in more gas to round up to the whole dollar is unnecessary in this day of plastic money. Overfilling the tank on the a modern vehicle may cause fuel to enter the vapour hose which may get you a check engine warning.
Gord 🇨🇦 ---- 1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,518 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,518 | I purposely never fill past 3/4 tank, never smell it at that level but if it is full I will everytime. 1953 Chevrolet 3100261 cu inch, sm420, 3.55 rear, torque tube still,omaha orange, still 6 volt, RPO green glass, side carrier spare, all done In the DITY GalleryVideo of the 261 running1964 GMC 1000305 Big Block V6, sm420, the next cab off restoration
| | | | | Joined: May 2017 Posts: 100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2017 Posts: 100 | Check your sending unit gasket,then check the hose to steel connections finally the gas cap .Also check your hard line connection to sender. You can sniff around and the sent will get stronger when you find it. I can fill my tank to the top of the fill and not smell gas inside the cab.Outside yes as tank vents I can smell gas, no smell at 3/4 tank.
Last edited by sack; 09/10/2020 6:44 PM.
!956 Gmc Napco 4x4 Factory line built .
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 1,989 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2016 Posts: 1,989 | olezippi, have you had the tank out of the truck in the past couple of years? might have some rust holes near the top as mine did.
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2019 Posts: 464 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2019 Posts: 464 | Thanks for the info guys. It's a pretty new tank and everything is dry. This is the first time I have smelt gas. I'll run some of the gas out and see if that helps. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,282 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,282 | Ethanol blend gas warps the rubber gasket on aftermarket sending units. Pull the sending unit and see.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 325 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 325 | I purposely never fill past 3/4 tank, never smell it at that level but if it is full I will everytime. Same for me. I wonder if the filler tube is cracked. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2017 Posts: 665 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2017 Posts: 665 | So, I started smelling gas in cab one day. Never smelled it before. Turns out the bottom Petcock ( goes through the cab) was leaking at the threads( inside the cab area). . Drained tank, got new petcock ( one in truck was original) and problem fixed. It was not leaking a lot but was leaking. Todd
Last edited by Shaffer's1950; 09/11/2020 4:58 PM.
1950 Chevy 3100
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2016 Posts: 1,101 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2016 Posts: 1,101 | Wait, there is a connection at the bottom of my gas tank that exits the cab? I was only aware of the gas line and filler in the top of the tank. I also smell gas in the cab but only after a trip to the gas station. It only last a day or two. I try not to top off the tank to minimize the effect.
Last edited by dgrinnan; 09/11/2020 5:23 PM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,078 Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums | | Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums Joined: May 2015 Posts: 11,078 | Wait, there is a connection at the bottom of my gas tank that exits the cab? Only on 47-53 trucks, unless there's a drain plug on '54s where the petcock was on the earlier ones.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truckFollow this saga in Project JournalPhotos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | yes, "there's a drain plug [and hole in the floor and valve under the tank] on '54s where the petcock was on the earlier ones" | | | | | Joined: Nov 2019 Posts: 464 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2019 Posts: 464 | Well guys.....problem solved. As someone said, I over filled the tank and that was causing the gas smell in the cab. Won't be doing that again. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,819 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,819 | There's a product called "beano" that does a pretty good job of eliminating gas odors in the cab. If you like jumbo beef & bean burritos with lots of piquante' sauce, a double dose might be needed! LOL! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,841 | Smelling gas in the cab? just tell my wife to keep out of the truck especially the day after she had a burrito for breakfast. Buuuurrrpppppp !!
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 916 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 916 | To add to all of this- the giant rubber grommet that seals the gap between the filler tube and the cab doesn’t always provide a gas tight seal... if the gas dribbles over the filler neck, even a little, it can sometimes find its way into the cab. Find a good product to seal the grommet all the way around the filler tube. You can seal it inside the cab, where it won’t be noticeable. Solved the problem on my ‘63 GMC.
~ Dave 1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission | | |
| |