| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,367 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 | I'm working on a 54 3600. Still 6V, original wiring. I have replaced the tail lamps with original RT8C's because I haven't found a decent set of RT8's yet. The left side RT8 was pretty messed up, and the right was a GROTE that probably got put on with the Signal Stat unit. If only they'd have popped for the correct Guide unit at the dealer! Anyway, I decided to upgrade to LED bulbs in the rear to hopefully catch people's attention better. I installed an LED specific flasher, made sure it's grounded very well under the dash. I replaced the right hand sided pigtail, and replaced the wire going from the signal/brake side all the way back to where it comes through the firewall, as it was degraded badly. I opened up the original splices, cleaned up the wires, and soldered in a new splice for the tail lamps. The left hand pig tail from the factory is still pretty flexible/pliable and did not appear to show any sign of insulation loss, so I decided to let it ride until I am ready to rewire the whole rig. So now for the issue. Head and tail lamps illuminate as expected. Park lamps/tail lamps illuminate as expected. Brake lamps illuminate as expected. Hazard flashers using the built in function of the 800 work as expected. When I signal a left hand turn, I get a bright left blink as well as a dim right side blink. When I signal a right hand turn, I get a bright right blink, and a dim left blink. The only thing I have not got back and checked that I can think of off the top of my head is that maybe I have an insufficient ground between the stake pockets, brackets, and lamp bodies? I would think if that were the case though that all the other functionality would not be as good as it is. Could this be happening inside the switch itself? Electrical is not my strongest area, so any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
1956 GMC 100 NAPCO Deluxe 1955.1 Chevy 3600 NAPCO 1954 Chevy 3600 NAPCO
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy BlueChipper, my suggestion would be to replace the L.E.D. bulbs with incandescent bulbs and see if the problem goes away. I had a similar problem on a panel I was helping build, everything was working fine, then the owner showed up with some L.E.D. bulbs for the rear of the truck. Once the L.E.D.s were installed both sides would flash when either side turn signal was used, hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 | Thanks Bobb! I'll try that.
1956 GMC 100 NAPCO Deluxe 1955.1 Chevy 3600 NAPCO 1954 Chevy 3600 NAPCO
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1 Moderated | | Moderated Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 1 | Blue Chipper, If you installed LED bulbs in the back and an LED flasher, did you also change any front flasher bulbs as well? You cant mix LED and incandescent bulbs on an LED flasher, different resistance and it can cause weird things to happen. Just a thought. | | |
| |
| |