| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,175 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2020 Posts: 68 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2020 Posts: 68 | I got a 50 with a 261ci, 12 volt conversion and alternator. It died when I was stopped at an intersection the other day. When I tried to restart it, the battery was dead. It started just fine before I left and it was running perfect then it died and I could not restart it. I changed the points and the fuel filter less than 100 miles ago. Does any one have any suggestions on what the problem might be? I am thinking it might be the alternator, based on the fact the battery was dead, and it should have been charging.
Mike
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,441 Moderator - The Electrical Bay | | Moderator - The Electrical Bay Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,441 | I would charge the battery, then test the alternator output (volts and amps) while the truck is running.
Another quality post. Real Trucks Rattle HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 3,599 | Simple check! When you have the engine running, unhook a battery cable. If the engine dies, it's the alternator. If it stays running running, it the battery. Since it is a 1950 that has been changed to 12V, there could also be a wiring issue. Ground!
Don 1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck"The Flag Pole"In the Stovebolt Gallery1946 2-Ton grain truck 1946 3/4-ton pickup, 1953 1-ton pickup 1957 1-ton flatbed dually, 1954 Pontiac Straight Eight Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,799 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,799 | Unhook the cable- - - - -then go buy an alternator. That test works- - - -sort of- - - -on generator-equipped vehicles. Solid state rectifers and voltage regulators really don't like the 100+ volt spike that happens just as the cable gets disconnected from the battery. A battery acts somewhat like a shock absorber in a charging system- - - -helping to dampen out sudden surges from things like solenoid contacts making and breaking, and other voltage surges. Parts dealers love it when people repeat "old mechanics' tales" that went obsolete decades ago, like "Keep a hot engine running while you pour water into it"- - - -that one quit being relevant when they put a water pump on the Model A Ford in 1928. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |
| |