The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 125 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,425
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 41
T
Fixer of Things I Probably Broke
Fixer of Things I Probably Broke
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 41
Replacing my 12v coil (stamped with "Use only with external resistor") and ballast resistor (which exists) on a '53 235 but am confused as to which resistor to get?

Autozone has a few:

https://www.autozone.com/ignition/ballast-resistor/duralast-ballast-resistor-f795/118802_0_0
https://www.autozone.com/ignition/ballast-resistor/duralast-ballast-resistor-al795/111120_0_0
https://www.autozone.com/ignition/ballast-resistor/duralast-ballast-resistor-dr794/116673_0_9348

They range in resistance from 0.633 to 1.8 Ω.

How do I know which one to use on my system?

And at the same time, are all 12v coils created equal?

Warning, I go cross-eyed reading the many excellent threads detailing how to calculate this and that and amps and ohm-mygoodness it's all over my head... so break it down like I'm five?

Last edited by ThreeTree53; 08/25/2020 4:48 AM.

1953 Chevy 3100 Frankentruck with 235 and mostly original bits.
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy ThreeTree53, what I did to check which of the Autozone resistors is appropriate was I identified what I was working on to the Autozone website, I used a 1956 Chevrolet 3100 pickup, as 12 volts didn't start to be used until 1955, I used 56 just to be sure they were 12 volt. The first two on the list came up as does/will NOT fit your vehicle, the third resistor p/n DR794 DOES fit your vehicle.
As to your coil question, no not all 12 volt coils are created equal, to begin with there are coils that are designed to work without external resistors, also all different outputs are available. If you went into Autozone and told them you would like to purchase an ignition coil to fit a 1956 Chevrolet 1/2 ton (3100) with a six cylinder engine, they would sell you an ignition coil appropriate to replace your original coil, hope that answers your questions.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Quite common to have to be a bit knowledgeable and also sneaky when dealing with the parts stores. 3B has it nailed. Just fudge a few years to get into a range where parts work.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 41
T
Fixer of Things I Probably Broke
Fixer of Things I Probably Broke
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 41
@3B Awesome! That's a good lead (the year thing started switching to 12v) thanks for the tip and the info.


1953 Chevy 3100 Frankentruck with 235 and mostly original bits.
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 1
C
Moderated
Moderated
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 1
Hello...you can't "short" a counterbalance to short of what it was initially constructed. In the event that your meter checks it at zero, it's acceptable. This is on the grounds that they are a wire wound obstruction. There is just no chance that they can FAIL with generously less obstruction than they were fabricated with.
Generally, a counterweight either comes up short "open" or "discontinuous," IE it's messed up inside and reaches a portion of the time.
'
flex circuit design for manufacturability guide

Last edited by CarlyAzuma; 08/28/2020 7:03 PM.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
My coil says "No External Resistor Required." Made life easier. I probably got it at NAPA.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
What part number NAPA coil?

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Internal vs external ballast resistors has been debated before. No clear winner, IMO.

Here's a thread with NAPA part numbers quoted: https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/998130/1.html


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
Mine is a 12V Echlin, 905. Installed in 2007. No complaints.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0