Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,136 Posts1,056,430 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 44 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 44 | I have a 35 chevy pickup and put in a 289 and and c4 transmission. Just wondering if it is possible to use the old gauges? If not, is there any reasonable gauges out there that would work? Do they make gauges to fit the original dash cutouts? Or, do I have to modify the dash?
Thanks, Dan | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 161 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 161 | Hey Dan, I have a 46 that I put a 302 and a c4 tranny in and I was going to use my stock gauges but instead opted for the dolphin gauge set and dash insert. I used the mechanical speedo cable that came with my donor from the c4 and it worked fine. The temp and oil pressure gauges were no problem as well with engine. If you are using your stock gas tank and sending unit you will need to put a little voltage reducer at the sending unit to make it work properly with the 12v gauges. Here is the site. http://dolphingauges.com/ Charlie BTW...I like you weren't afraid to hear the *****in about ford into chevy either. ok...I just double checked and they do not offer a dash insert for a 35 but I will look at others and post again. But the gauges are nice and less expensive than other brands. After thinking about it the gauge set and dash insert may have been the same for the cars and the trucks pre-39 trucks so just call them up and ask them if that is the case. They do carry the dash insert for a 35 car.
1946 Chevy Pickip
| | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 | Probably better to go with new 12v gauges rather than screw around with old stuff. hat way you can get accurate oil pressure/water temp info. Trying to recall what a '35 dash looks like. I am sure you can find a gauge set that will look good - there are various styles to suit most schemes. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 | Your gauges, except the fuel gauge and ammeter are mechanical, so all you should need are the plumbing fittings at the engine end and a voltage reducer for the fuel gauge. The oil pressure gauge will normally be pegged except at hot idle with your conversion. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,519 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,519 | As far as oil pressure and water temp,,160 degrees is 160 degrees whether its in a ford motor or an old 6 cyl. Same with oil pressure,40 lbs is 40 lbs no matter where it is. pretty much the same with your gas tank,1/2 is 1/2,just use the reducer. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,442 Moderator - The Electrical Bay | | Moderator - The Electrical Bay Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,442 | hmphf... why bother, that old chevy is going to reject them droF parts like an AB- rejects a B+ heart.
Another quality post. Real Trucks Rattle HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 161 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 161 | Originally posted by Rusty Rod: hmphf... why bother, that old chevy is going to reject them droF parts like an AB- rejects a B+ heart. only one reject I can see here. If you don't have anything good to say about someone elses project then keep the trap shut. I am sure our ford driven trucks will outlast your buckets. You don't hear us telling anyone who is spending a ton of money to restore their truck "why bother" because you can't even drive it down the highway. I know you are aged but grow up some and get off this stupid kick of putting down other peoples things based on not being chevy. REAL "car people" get real tired of that crap real fast.
1946 Chevy Pickip
| | | | | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | CHILDREN, CHILDREN, CHILDREN, if you all don't behave you'll be sent to your rooms w/o your trucks seeing your trucks for a LONGGGG time. Good God folks this has been discussed over & over before. For the most part a lot of us Stovebolts could care less what you drive. Zipper it very apparent that you haven't read many of Rusty Rods posts. He always likes to rib anyone about owning anything but a GM product even though there was at least one Mopar product  he has owned. Maybe his reason for disliking Fords so much goes back when he was a child  but who knows. If I was a betting man I'm sure there is at least one Ford that Rusty would LOVE to have if he was given a chance. And if he say he'd never own a Ford, I'm sorry to say but I think he'd be lieing. ZooKeeper | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 | Nothing wrong with a little loyalty and humor. Lighten up, Francis. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 74 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 74 | Your hair's pull back to tight. Loosen the bone Wilma!! Folks are entitled to their opinion. Besides, Rusty Rod does come with his standard disclaimer. By his own keystokes, the paranoids are after him, so therefore, we can not take him seriously. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 161 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 161 | Get a grip ladies. My name is not Francis nor Wilma. I think it is in poor taste to put somebody's project down because his "reality" is so far fetched. Plain and simple. That is my opinion and as you say folks are entitled to their opinion and apparently to voice them as they choose.
I personally think it shows no originality to do the same old cookie cutter red truck with chrome wheels street rod but folks do it. Anyone can follow the pack.
My loyalty lies with car guys who enjoy all types no matter the maker. Open minded folks can appreciate what other car guys do.
Sorry to detract from you first post 35chevy. Were you able to find what you were looking for?
1946 Chevy Pickip
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 44 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 44 | Thank you for all of the useful information...I now know what to do for gauges. As far as the ford engine in a chevy truck, I would like to explain the reasons behind it.
The truck started out as a 1 and 1/2 ton farm truck that we pulled out of a shed. The truck had not seen sunlight for 40 plus years. I wanted to be able to use it for fun, so I figured converting it into a 1/2 ton would make it more enjoyable for those drives around the neighborhood. The ford engine was free from a good friend. The truck is not going to be a show truck. I've tried to replicate a stock 35 pickup as best I can. Heck, I even put new bias-ply tires on it. Anyway, my goal from the start (last summer) was to have this project ready for my wedding this fall. My future wife is absolutely thrilled with the idea of driving away in an old pickup!
Thanks for all of you wisdom, sorry if I offended anyone by putting a ford engine in a chevy. Maybe I can put a chevy engine in once I have a little more extra cash. But for now, I am enjoying going home after work to finish my project, all while smiling from that old chevy smell...anyone who has worked on an old chevy knows what I am talking about. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 1,377 | I would like to see some pics of the engine installation as I will install a 302/AOD in my 37 if I hurt the 235 when the water pump went into the radiator,I have the motor and it would be cheaper to rebuild the 302 then buying another 235 and going through it and my 460/C-6 wont fit without major cutting. I hope I did not hurt the 235 since I was mad when the water pump hit the radiator and kept on heading towards home. jeff | | | | | Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 162 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2001 Posts: 162 | Hey give the guy a break. He'll have enough trouble keeping the 302 running let alone putting up with you yahoos.
Signed,
Francis Flinstone
53 3100 1929 Ford Roadster Pickup 1934 Ford Pickup 68 Plymouth Satellite RR Clone 2 Door My Fleet
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 161 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 161 | Originally posted by bessie: He'll have enough trouble keeping the 302 running Clearly another person who doesn't read very well. It takes a real loser to make fun of others projects. MY 302 and others who run them and have built them correctly will outrun and outlast any junks you drive.
1946 Chevy Pickip
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 222 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 222 | I have an old 1988 Linclon Town Car with a 302 engine and an AOD transmission. My land yatch will get 20 MPG on the highway and it has way way over 150000 miles on it. I have considered putting this engine combination in my truck before because of this example. So don't worry about it 35Chevy. I am so tired of see SB350 engines that the 302 may be a welcomed sight. I liked 2ManyToCounts comment, no one would have said a word if it was a Hemi. Rick | | |
| |