The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Charles in CA, LAROKE, Wally / Montana, Cletus1950, 78buckshot, TrknGMC, UtahYork), 162 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,221
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1373551 08/16/2020 1:30 AM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
I know they were made and used from 48 – 72 (and maybe other years) in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Really not too much in the 48-51 Shop Manual to explain the differences. In fact, the Chevy manuals don’t identify them as HO-anything or as Eaton. And do those designations apply to the entire axle assembly or just the differential?
Thanks


Professional Novice
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
After years of debate, the biggest difference I've seen is in the brakes. The 3800 trucks had 14", the 3600 trucks had 12". There may be some differences in the carrier assemblies, but they are interchangeable, so kind of a non issue.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Thanks. That’s about what I thought.


Professional Novice
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,003
Axles swap also, if you were wondering.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Online: Content
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
I was trying to sell my 4.57 pumpkin. I advertised it as an HO52. A guy said he needed an HO72. So there's basically no difference. He thought the HO72 was stronger. Not so?


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 168
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 168
Some people think the H072 has the load bolt that keeps the ring gear from deflecting and the H052 doesn't, but I've seen them both ways. If you have some time and want to learn about these axles, read this thread
https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/eaton-h072.771317/
Lots of good info in there


Liquidated my projects
Now looking for a decent '47-'55.1 3100, 3600, or 3800
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Thanks all.


Professional Novice
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
D
Unconventional Thinker
Unconventional Thinker
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 491
I read today over on the 67-72 site, a portion of an HO52/HO72 axle thread, and there are some 14 bolt FF parts that can be interchanged on these axles. One of them is a lunch box locker for the 14B, it will install into the HO Carrier. The main thing I was looking for was that orientation of HO52 diff cover, whether the fill hole was low or high, since these covers can be installed either way. I questioned whether mine was installed properly because. Checked the book, it said 6.5 pints, and I had poured in 3.25 quarts, so that was right, but the level of the oil appears to be lower than the axle tubes. I figured since the amount of oil I poured in matched what the book said it takes, then GM knew what they were doing by having the oil level lower than the tubes.


Shane

Shane's Toys...
2007 Forester XT Limited (2nd Owner)
1991 Cherokee Laredo (2nd Owner)
1981 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside 8,600 Camper Special (3rd Owner)
1965 Chevy 3/4 Ton Fleetside (3rd Owner)

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0