| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,117 Posts1,056,296 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 74 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 74 | I'm getting mixed information from different reps at a reputable dealer about the need (my want) to attach a front sway bar to a Heidt's IFS w/ power R&P on my 56 TF.
I understand the benefits, but will I really notice the difference after the installation of my IFS? What about installing a rear sway bar?
Opinions, rants and stories welcome. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 4 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 4 | How does the truck handle now? You will notice a big difference in handling with the sway bar on. I personally don't rear sway bars on drivers. On a tow rig it helps though...
Josh
Truck Werks 6315 S. Kyrene Rd. Tempe, AZ 58283 480-838-1166
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 | I am an advocate of front and rear swaybars...whether it be an IFS setup or a straight axle.
Controlling body roll and improving both low and high speed handling has been proven again and again. Once you drive a rather top heavy 50 year old vehicle without bars, and then with front and rear bars you're going to be sold on their use.
Care should be taken to MATCH the bar size (diameter) with your vehicle....too large is as detrimental as too small. If you use them on the front you need them on the rear and vice-versa.
If your vendor doesn't offer a bar then you'll need to do some R & D on your own. The rear bars on pickups are not that rare...on the front you'll probably have to hit the yards...and fabricate/modify the mounts. Either way the addition of front and rear bars, will improve the handling of your truck. Hope this helps.
Dave | | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 74 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 74 | Dave -
Thanks for taking th time to reply. I always been on the path of putting both front and rear sway bars on my 56. So getting different stories from different folks at the same dealer threw me off to recosider before buying anything.
I have yet to install the Heidt's IFS and most likely check with Heidt's on the front sway bar, before scouting around other dealers.
Josh -
As for the current drive, it drives like a 51 year old skate board with the metal wheels on a railroad track. It's in desparate need of a front end job, whether stock or resto mod. But I still love to drive it.
Thanks - | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 18 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 18 | As far as other dealers, as a suggestion check out www.jimweimerrodgarage.com they pretty much have everything and the prices are great. The guys there set me up with a custom IFS and air ride for my 51 D*dge. (I used them because they were local for me, pointed me in the right direction and saved me money in the long run!) | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 4 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 4 | Paul, I think rear sway bars are a preference thing. I think a front should be mandatory but it depends on your spring setup. Its easy enough to rebuild the front end and put a sway bar up there and if you need better handling you can always build a rear sway bar.
Truck Werks 6315 S. Kyrene Rd. Tempe, AZ 58283 480-838-1166
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 74 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 74 | Truckwerks -
I tend to agree with you on rear sway being a preference. I'm definitely going to install the front sway bar and will need to noodle on if I want the rear sway bar.
Thanks all for the input. | | |
| |
| |