The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 171
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 171
Hello,
I disassembled the 235 cui engine of my Chevy Pickup build 1953. Today I tried to start the engine. I put the choke half out and pulled on the starter, he worked well.
After a few turns of the engine the carburetor make a big bang and the carburetor smells of petrol. After this bang i tried it again, but the engine wanted to start.
I think its a problem of the poistion of the ignition distributor.
Here you can see how the ignition distributor is fixed on my engine:
https://www.kripahle-online.de/unterricht/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/img_3537.jpg
How should the distibutor be fixed? Can you send in your answer a picture? Or another question how must I turn the distributor to "A" or "R"?
Ask
Wolfgang


I'm working on a Chevy Pickup 3600, build 1953 with an 235 cui engine.
Here you can watch my truck: https://www.kripahle-online.de/unterricht/?page_id=2532
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,193
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,193
It's good where you have it set now. For setting the timing, see Hotrod Lincoln's post from a week ago:
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...iming-marks-on-flywheel.html#Post1370265


Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 242
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2019
Posts: 242
If the distributor doesn't solve things, then another thing to check is intake valve lash.
Backfiring and hard start can occur if intake valve lash is too tight.

.008" intake and .016" exhaust worked for my solid lifters. Those are cold adjustment numbers.


'59 Chevy Suburban, NAPCO
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 171
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 171
Hello Ott3r,
the valves are fixed with a setting tool. I think I need a rough attitude to fix the distributor and let the engine run and attitute the ignition with a timing light.
Wolfgang


I'm working on a Chevy Pickup 3600, build 1953 with an 235 cui engine.
Here you can watch my truck: https://www.kripahle-online.de/unterricht/?page_id=2532
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 171
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 171
The engine started


I'm working on a Chevy Pickup 3600, build 1953 with an 235 cui engine.
Here you can watch my truck: https://www.kripahle-online.de/unterricht/?page_id=2532
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
👍🏻


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0