The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (KEVINSKI), 160 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 18
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 18
'57 Chevy 3200, I have replaced the drum breaks with disc on the front, and have everything mounted up and connected - time to bleed the brakes.

On the front drums (the ones I've removed), there is a bleeder valve nipple exactly like I expected to see. On the rear drums, there is a 2 part bolt in place of where I would expect to see the bleeder valve. What's going on here? Should I pull the valves off the removed front drums and install them in the rear? I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I can't seem to find an answer as to why there is a bolt in place of where I expected to see bleed valve.

Apologies if this is a stupid question, and thank you in advance for any assistance.
Attachments
IMG_7603.jpeg (219.32 KB, 104 downloads)

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
I think I would be reluctant to drive that truck on farm fields...Did you pull the rear drums and refurbish the rear drums with all new hardware? A system is only as strong as it's weakest point, that you do know.

To me it looks like a guy snapped off the bleeder valve and did a quick bolt-in job, BUT, I am here before more learned minds.

Good luck


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 18
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 18
Thanks - haven't pulled apart the rear drums yet, trying to take the referb in stages - but your point is well taken, and I plan on rebuilding them once I have everything else I have dismantled back together.

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
I am not certain from your picture but that looks like what I have for bleeder valves on my Diamond T with Lockheed brakes (see picture). The top bolt is there just to seal the bore of the hollow bleeder valve. Just below the hex head of the top bolt is the hex of the valve itself. Remove the top bolt and turn the hex counter clockwise to open the valve like an ordinary bleeder valve.
Attachments
rsz_img_2361.jpg (47.34 KB, 76 downloads)


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 18
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 18
Sweet - thanks LD, that's the info I was looking for. I've not seen a valve like that before.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
While you are at it, if you can get new cylinders, use them, the labor to upgrade the old ones is hardly worth it.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
All great advice, new to me LD. Ed, you are so right.


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer



Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0