The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (walter74, Jay R, 52Carl, Wally / Montana, Hotrod Lincoln, 78buckshot), 122 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,417
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1369418 07/17/2020 1:06 AM
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
I'm getting ready for my next project and it's putting new bed wood and bed strips in the '47. Has anyone recently used the kits from Jim Carter or Classic Truck Parts? They're my preferred vendors for this project and that's all I'm going to say about that........

Here's a few questions that I have:

Was the general fitment of the kit acceptable?

Did you use the pre-drilled bed wood? If so, how did it line-up during the installation?

If you drilled your own holes, any suggestions or advice on that procedure?

Thanks,


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 315
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 315
I bought my bed kit from Mar-K and couldn't be happier with the quality and fit. The only issue I had was some of the bolts weren't long enough and Mar-K overnighted the correct ones at NC.


1936 GMC T-14 1/2-Ton Pickup
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Sorry Andy, I can’t help with fit issues from your preferred vendors. I am not familiar with their sources. Mar-K is the industry standard and I can personally assure you they provide a product made entirely in the USA. 🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Martin, PM sent.


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
I was able to wrap-up my bed project today. The project included installation of a new front bed panel, nine-board yellow pine (pre-drilled), bed strip kit w/hardware, and bed mounting bolt kit, all purchased from Classic Truck Parts.

Thanks to everyone that provided input and guidance. It's a great project to have completed before the snow flies here in Iowa!
Attachments
Before.jpg (279.76 KB, 178 downloads)
After.jpg (276.2 KB, 187 downloads)


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,096
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,096
Nice job Andy. thumbs_up
I had to look twice. That After pic makes your truck look like a long bed.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Thanks Kevin!

I did a '51 bed in the early 1980s, what a difference 40 years makes on this 'old guy'!!


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Looking good!


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Online: Content
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
Looks great, Andy!
Were they out of new tailgates?
Just messing with you. smile I like dents in old truck beds.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,488
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,488
Great looking job Andy! How was the kit (fit and hardware) from Classic Truck Parts?


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Thanks you guys!

Carl, believe me, I thought about a new tailgate. However, I really splurged and bought a tailpipe heat shield instead, LOL!

Phil, I was quite impressed with the bed wood fitment, particularly since I purchased the pre-drilled bed wood. All six bed mounting holes were spot on. The hardware worked just fine as well. There were even a few extra nuts, locks and flat washers of all sizes in the bed bolt kit. It was a good thing too, because when I dropped something and couldn't readily find it, I just grabbed another and kept moving. All in all, I'm satisfied for the money spent. After all, the '47 might have to 'work' once in a while........ wink


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 670
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 670
Looks Great....bed is my next project...
What did you use to color/seal the boards?

I went to my old truck junk yard this week and got 4 bed strips. 4 of my original ones are rotted out at the bed to cab side.
Todd


1950 Chevy 3100
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Thanks Todd!

Well, I didn't have much left to work with and no old truck junk yard to visit. Fortunately, the cross sills were all there and usable. Since my truck is garaged, I went with a latex deck stain from Menard's. Time will tell how well it holds up. It should be easy enough to re-coat as needed.
Attachments
Mystic Black Stain.jpg (230.94 KB, 68 downloads)


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 12
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 12
Love it, Now enjoy As always call if I can help. Jerry


Thank you,
Jerry
------------------------------------
Jerry's Body Shop #52
[email protected]
816-833-4414
------------------------------------

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0